Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2012, 01:21 PM   #1 
labloverl

Setting up and cycling a 5 gallon - lots of help needed

I plan on setting up a 5 gallon tank once I get a hood and a heater for it. I have a small 7w heater, but I assume that it's not good enough. I will want to divide this tank, and probably only have fake plants in it with a gravel bottom. I really don't know anything about cycling. Luckily, my 10 gallon cycled itself before I knew what the cycle actually was. I haven't messed with the cycle since then, and just do weekly water changes.

So, with the 5 gallon, how/where would I start with cycling it? I would almost rather not do a fish-in-cycle since I don't want to mess up and kill the fish. I would also like to add both fish at the same time to the tank after they've been quaratined. I have 2 or 3 HOB filters that I've used over the years. The HOB I have in my 10 gallon has a bio-fiber thing in it which I assume is a good thing. I'm not sure if my other HOB filters have that. Do I need it? I also have a tetra whisper 2-10i power filter that does have some sort of bio-fiber thing in it. Which type would I need?

How many water changes would I do per week, and how much would I change?

Anything else I need to know/think about?
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

They sell equipment containing the bacteria needed use gravel from another aquaium live plants help cycle add fish in slowly.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:20 PM   #3 
labloverl

Okay, I read a guide on this site about cycling, and saw the part about seeding the new tank from things from the cycled tank. Glad you brought that up ChoclateBetta. As I have never cycled a tank (knowingly) before, I don't feel that I will be able to do any of the different ways properly. Would it be possible to cycle the tank completely just by seeding it with plants, gravel, and some stuff from the filter from my cycled 10 gallon? Would I place these things near or in the filter? How much water should I put in the tank? Again, which type of filter should I use? How do I take stuff from the filter in the cycled tank and put it in the new tank?

Sorry for the questions, but I want to get this right!
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I have done that before worked out very well.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #5 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Gallon or two.