Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #1 
ChristyB

Concerns: Need some answers please

My daughter got a beautiful betta last weekend. We have a three gallon tank and he was doing good but now his fin is starting to pull up tight on him and the tips of his tail is loosing color. He eats fine but doesnt swim around to much. He was bubble nesting but has stopped. Not sure if he is having fin issues or if I am being over paranoid (which is the husbands thought). I have never owned a fish in my life and have no clue what I am doing no matter how much I read. I would love some honest help please.
ChristyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:54 PM   #2 
Maura

Could you please fill this out and attach a photo?

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #3 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

He might be sick but we need more info could be his fins to long or decorations are to sharp.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #4 
ChristyB

Ok I will try to answer as much as I can right now.
Again its a 3 gallon tank.
Was filtered but the filter is way to strong for that little tank and we can not find a smaller size filter to put in.
Temp is at 77 constant with heater.
No air stones or aerators, was lead to believe we did not need them.
No tank mates, cant afford them at this moment.

Tetra pellets and freeze dried blood worms. A pellet every other day and 2-3 blood worms on the off days and skipping one day a week. So he is feed a light meal 6 days a week as we were told he could have. He does not like the pellets and will only try to eat them if no one is watching. He also can not eat the longer blood worms for some reason. Not sure if he just cant get them in his mouth.

We did it in one week this time and a full change because like I said I was informed I could and I am not sure how to do a partial change out and get the rocks clean. We us the water conditioner stuff and put in 7 drops per gallon.

No clue on the PH levels and all. We are looking into buying the strips but if medicine is needed then that is what we will get. We can not afford both at this time.

He doesnt shimmer as much any more and he is slower and just started Sunday when we decided to change the water because it was looking bad all ready. Was told that a 3 galon tank should be able to go 2 weeks with just one betta in it but I was watching it anyway. No treatment, dont know if it is what is the problem. We bought him a week ago so I have no clue his age other then that.

And lastly I dont know how to post a picture but I would if I did. This is my first time on a forum so any help is appreciated. Thank you
Old 08-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #5 
Aus

Most pet store people, I am fond of saying, would not know a fish from their elbow.

Tbh, I'd be surprised if the muppet who told to you to change your water every two weeks knows what an elbow is, let alone a fish... anyway. Once every fortnight is not enough water changes. But we'll get to that in a minute.

I am guessing he a/ has been exposed to a lot of ammonia, coming from that muppet's shop, where he was no doubt kept in a tiny little cup, and b/ having water changed once a week. And c/ - most likely he wasn't acclimated (slowly introduced to his new water a bit at a time) when first placed in the tank, or after the first big water change? He could be in a little chemical shock and suffering some ammonia exposure.

He could also be unhappy with the heavy filter flow -- are you sure there's no knob or dial to slow the flow down? My filter pump has one in the most stupidly hard to find place, took me a week to figure out it had one at all... If not, you can 'baffle' the filter (using sponge or a plastic bottle, see the stickies on baffling here on the forum..) -- I've read a few threads now where filter flow was causing stress.

Try slowing the filter, and do more water changes - at least 2 x 50% per week, try to match the new water's temp to the old as much as possible and introduce your fish back slowly, adding a little new water to his cup every few mins before dumping him back in (if you remove him.. I do, in my smaller tanks). You can get a vaccum pump to vac the gravel (these are brilliant and very handy) -- suck water into the tube to get it going, put one end in a bucket, the big end vacs the gravel, take care not to suck fish into the vac - or cup him while water changing, with a lid on the cup..) My changes with the gravel vac are so quick now, just a few minutes, and the tank stays nice and clean.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

might need a higher protein flightless fruit flies or freeze dried brine shrimp.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

might be ammonia plants might help possibly stress.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Betta fish also naturally change color.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #9 
ChristyB

ok I picked up some fungus drops for the tank just in case, but he seems better. The fins are coming out and color is looking a little better. I think he is also bored. I might look into getting him a ping pong ball. He is still having problems eating the pellets. Does anyone have a good choice on flakes or smaller types of food. He still loves his blood worms but I break those in half for him.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #10 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Flightless Fruit Flies, my Betta Loves them.