Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #1 
Hopeseeker

Question Need some help figuring out a couple things.

First: I'm wanting to setup my 15 gallon as a NPT sorority tank. Question is how many stems of stem plants would be a nice start towards planting? I currently am planning on 60-some stems of stem plants. Too much, Too little? Just let me know. I am willing to adjust it up or down a few. Thanks!
Second: I have had 4 lily bulbs from walmart starting in little plastic canvas boxes that my boyfriend and I made. Started them over a month ago. Only one has leaves and roots popping out, the others float and have no signs of growth. Are the 3 floaters bad bulbs? Should I just throw them away? I kinda knew that it might be hit and miss with the bulbs. Bought a few before and none have ever sprouted, until this 1.
Thanks for any help!!!
Hopeseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:17 AM   #2 
kfryman

The number of stems sound good enough. You can always prune some and replant anyways.

The one lily may be fine in the tank, though it depends on lighting, it may not do so well in lower light. Not sure on the others, but I presume they would be dead.

Make sure you get some floating plants, they will help suck up all the excess nutrients caused by the dirt.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:28 AM   #3 
Hopeseeker

Already have some floating water sprite that seams to be over-producing baby plants. Will be moving half of my water sprite over to the 15 gallon, once it's set up. Most of the plants have already doubled in size and I keep finding babies popping off the leaves. Seems like they reproduce the same way as my 2 kinds of java ferns. I have only had the water sprite about a month. When they say fast growing, they weren't kidding.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:38 AM   #4 
Aus

Once they've reproduced, expect the parent stems to die off all of a sudden, so watch for that and remove the rotty ones. It's a natural part of the plant's life cycle, just so you don't think they're all perishing on you, ha.

Sounds like it's going to be a very nice tank, can't wait to see pictures!
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:15 AM   #5 
Hopeseeker

Update!!!

Just purchased my first online plant order this morning!!! I'm starting to get so excited about finally starting to set up the sorority!!! It should come the beginning of next week and I'll create a new thread, once it's set up!
Oh, and the lily bulb has exploded into a fast growing plant...almost weed like fast growth on the only good bulb of the 4!

Last edited by Hopeseeker; 08-24-2012 at 12:17 AM.