Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2012, 10:48 PM   #1 
lvandert

55 gallon tank has arrived!

Ok so My 55 gallon tank is now home and in its place. The gold fish I got with it have all found new homes to various local people and I've cleaned most everything in the tank with a solution of bleach water (I still have a few more rinses on the fake tree roots). I tossed the old gravel and one decoration that looked pretty nasty. I plan on buying new gravel for the whole tank any recommendations?
It also came with a Marineland H.O.T. Magnum filter system. It had 3 micron filters but I tossed them (2 were soaking in a bleach solution ). So I know I need to buy some new ones but I think I want a carbon filter over another micron filter. If anyone knows about these some help would be greatly appreciated!
As for heaters I have a 200W glass one (I read their not recommended for these fish) and a 20W fully submergable ("unbreakable") heater. I wouldn't mind buying another heater but If I can avoid it (or save money and have two smaller heaters) great.
I have two working lights but the hood part is crap. I plan on cutting a few new sheets of glass to fit the slots.
As for the fish going in there I'm thinking 4-5 african cichlids (thanks thekoimaiden for the suggestion) and a pleco. If I could get more great but if not I'll be plenty happy.
I'm going to cycle the tank with a few feeder minnows and possibly my pleco. I read that if you can cycle the tank for one month with a few feeder minnows the bio-load will be similar to a handful of cichlids and then when you get them they'll eat the minnows (its to avoid new tank syndrome). If that sounds wrong do correct me!
This is where I'm doing much of my research http://cichlidadvice.com/index.html if there is a better site feel free to recommend it, the more I read the more I know!

If anyone knows about these fish, the filter or anything else related to this project of mine feel free to post. I'm always looking for better suggestions and new ideas!
Attached Images

lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #2 
lvandert

So I wandered petco this morning and found a micron filter. I asked the fish lady (even though I expected her to know nothing) and she said as long as I chemically treat my tank I should be ok (IE start right and what not). Also upon further inspection aquabid has cichlids! I might just be ordering a bunch from one guy and have him ship them all at once.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #3 
lvandert

Alright. I've gotten the ok to keep the tank from the landlord and i'm still figuring everything out for cichlids, but I'm slowly figuring it out with the help of the people on the african cichlid chat thread. I did some aesthetic things today. I took my bag of plants and ripped some apart for gluing (with aq silicone) onto the tree stumps. They have some rather big holes I wanted to fill just so a fish doesn't get into there and get stuck. I'm going to scrap the under gravel filter and go with play sand substrate. I also am cleaning up my old 10 gallon filter to help the other filter. I'm thinking I want to go get the play sand today/tonight and maybe get the tank running within a couple weeks.
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #4 
copperarabian

That's awesome you got a big tank :D
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote