Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: What Is Your Favorite Tail Type?
Plakat 1 2.86%
Halfmoon Plakat 8 22.86%
Halfmoon 5 14.29%
Delta 2 5.71%
Double Tail 5 14.29%
Crowntail 9 25.71%
Veiltail 5 14.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #11 
LebronTheBetta
Member
 
LebronTheBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MD
Oh, OK. I get it. Good luck. :)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:44 AM   #12 
DragonFish
Member
 
DragonFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Batavia, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixielator View Post
Haha. Yeah, sorry. I'm trying to use this poll to help me figure out which tail types I should breed. I'd like to breed som nice VTs and DelTs with more variety in color and pattern (as well as HMs and CTs or maybe HMPK and DT) but I'm not sure there will be a place for them to go after I breed them. I'd like to sell them as pets, but I need to know the demand before I decide wether to breed them or not. This will also help me to decide if I want to breed HMPKs or DTs too.
Ahh, I understand xD Makes sense.

Well I think whatever you decide to breed....just remember to take the time to do your research thoroughly; don't rush into it. And so long as you can come up with set goals for color/form, you have enough time/money/supplies, and you're properly prepared the tail type doesn't matter too much.

I think most Breeders steer clear of VTs because there are just SO many of them....they're just everywhere. And a beginner is going to go to their local Petsmart and get the blue and red VT they see on the shelf, not really look into breeders in the area, no matter how much nicer and healthier a breeders stock would be.....and since other breeders generally don't breed VTs its difficult to sell them to other breeders like with other tail types. Generally all the effort and money that goes into breeding and caring for the fry aren't worth it in the long run with VTs.
With that said....if you have a local Mom&Pop store or two willing to take your stock, then trying to improve the variety of VT colors and general form in your area isn't a bad idea. But otherwise....it may not be the best idea.

And considering Deltas, as far as I understand, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, are just the ones from an HM spawn whos tails don't reach the desired 180 degree spread....I think its about the same thing.

Just a little something to think about when considering what to breed. ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #13 
ChoclateBetta
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
For me their is a behavior difference probably health their more inbred.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #14 
RazzleDazzleRose
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
i love my HMDT, but i may be biased since i have one....tho ive had a veiltail before, he was nice too.
RazzleDazzleRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:08 PM   #15 
lelei
Member
 
lelei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Haverhill, MA
Ironically, I was never partial to VT's only because the fuller finnage wows me soo much on HalfMoons, and OHM's (drool)..and our first fishy is a HM..so I wouldn't of chose a VT..but now that I have 2 of them as rescue fishy's I love them both equeally, and especially my Sapphire, he's is worth his weight in gold, He is got the funniest personality, and I couldn't imagine not having him now..So, I guess a CT is next on the list..:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #16 
Nuttawet
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Crown Tail...
Nuttawet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #17 
Pixielator
New Member
 
Pixielator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Ahh, I understand xD Makes sense.

Well I think whatever you decide to breed....just remember to take the time to do your research thoroughly; don't rush into it. And so long as you can come up with set goals for color/form, you have enough time/money/supplies, and you're properly prepared the tail type doesn't matter too much.

I think most Breeders steer clear of VTs because there are just SO many of them....they're just everywhere. And a beginner is going to go to their local Petsmart and get the blue and red VT they see on the shelf, not really look into breeders in the area, no matter how much nicer and healthier a breeders stock would be.....and since other breeders generally don't breed VTs its difficult to sell them to other breeders like with other tail types. Generally all the effort and money that goes into breeding and caring for the fry aren't worth it in the long run with VTs.
With that said....if you have a local Mom&Pop store or two willing to take your stock, then trying to improve the variety of VT colors and general form in your area isn't a bad idea. But otherwise....it may not be the best idea.

And considering Deltas, as far as I understand, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, are just the ones from an HM spawn whos tails don't reach the desired 180 degree spread....I think its about the same thing.

Just a little something to think about when considering what to breed. ;)
At first I was tempted to just dive in, but the more I read about them the more I felt it was best to wait a while so that I could learn everything I needed and get all the stuff I needed. Even once I do that, its gonna suck having to choose my breeding stock because I'm super picky and I'll always be thinking "Well what if I get this HM and an even better one is on sale tomorrow?!". Choosing will probably be the hardest part for me.

I've got 2 pet stores near me that buy from local breeders and one of them I know for sure would buy bettas from me. Thats my goal, bringing more variety in color and pattern, I certainly intend to breed my best ones together to get better form and whatnot. I know its possible that I could lose money breeding VTs since I won't be able to sell them for much, but I'm okay with that. For me breeding VTs will be more for fun and trying to give the common betta owner in my area a bit more of a selection. I don't think demand will be a problem though, I asked my closest small business pet store how many bettas they sell, and they said 15 a week on average. And the other store I'll be selling too is in an area with a MUCH larger population, so the demand there is probably even higher.

You're right about the delta thing, I remembered that earlier today, and felt pretty silly for my post about breeding them earlier.
Pixielator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #18 
DragonFish
Member
 
DragonFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Batavia, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixielator View Post
At first I was tempted to just dive in, but the more I read about them the more I felt it was best to wait a while so that I could learn everything I needed and get all the stuff I needed. Even once I do that, its gonna suck having to choose my breeding stock because I'm super picky and I'll always be thinking "Well what if I get this HM and an even better one is on sale tomorrow?!". Choosing will probably be the hardest part for me.

I've got 2 pet stores near me that buy from local breeders and one of them I know for sure would buy bettas from me. Thats my goal, bringing more variety in color and pattern, I certainly intend to breed my best ones together to get better form and whatnot. I know its possible that I could lose money breeding VTs since I won't be able to sell them for much, but I'm okay with that. For me breeding VTs will be more for fun and trying to give the common betta owner in my area a bit more of a selection. I don't think demand will be a problem though, I asked my closest small business pet store how many bettas they sell, and they said 15 a week on average. And the other store I'll be selling too is in an area with a MUCH larger population, so the demand there is probably even higher.

You're right about the delta thing, I remembered that earlier today, and felt pretty silly for my post about breeding them earlier.
Oh most definitely......choosing is always the hardest part, lol. There is always that 'but what if...' thought in the back of my head whenever I bring home a new boy and fill up one more space in my room, I can only imagine how crazy I would be if I were an active breeder....xD

Yeah, if you have one or more local pet shops willing to buy your stock and all that I think its quite a fantastic idea. You can really improve the general fish quality in your area, and the local stores won't have to contribute as much to the fish farms and whatnot.....geez if I lived in a place like that I'd have taken over the basement by now with breeding equipment, lol. I'm totally jealous!
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:45 AM   #19 
Pixielator
New Member
 
Pixielator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Vermont
bump.
Pixielator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #20 
Pixielator
New Member
 
Pixielator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Oh most definitely......choosing is always the hardest part, lol. There is always that 'but what if...' thought in the back of my head whenever I bring home a new boy and fill up one more space in my room, I can only imagine how crazy I would be if I were an active breeder....xD

Yeah, if you have one or more local pet shops willing to buy your stock and all that I think its quite a fantastic idea. You can really improve the general fish quality in your area, and the local stores won't have to contribute as much to the fish farms and whatnot.....geez if I lived in a place like that I'd have taken over the basement by now with breeding equipment, lol. I'm totally jealous!
I'm suprize that there aren't more good petstores near YOU willing to buy bettas than there are here. This is like the most secluded place I've ever lived! xD
Pixielator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Least favorite tail type xShainax Betta Chat 22 07-13-2012 08:10 PM
Whats your favorite type of betta? Irish Dancing Man Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 10 03-15-2011 03:33 AM
What's Your Favorite Tail Type? Bettas143 The Lounge 9 02-06-2011 07:09 PM
What's your favorite tail type? Vote on it! Maryrox247 Betta Chat 26 07-05-2010 06:50 PM
What is YOUR favorite tail type? doggyhog Betta Fish Care 8 11-21-2009 08:27 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.