Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2012, 11:13 PM   #1 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Exclamation Found lice-white organisims in my tank???!!! Help!

Hey everybody,

I am SO FREAKED right now....

I turned on the light in my room, and then turned on the light in my fish tank so i could feed Honeycomb, when BLAM! I saw these white/transparent what looked like tadpoles....except the were under 1mm, barely could see them, about the size of a needlepoint. They ONLY stayed on the glass, except for one or two that floated into the intake tube to the filter. They seemed to just "glide" across the glass, stop, and mind their own business. Honeycomb is being himself, nothing new or different that i see. The tank has been THIS setup for 2 years, and i have NEVER, and i mean NEVER seen anything like this in my tank.I cleaned the water twice last week(Honeycomb tore fin), but usually clean it once a week, 25 %.

I am going to do an emergency water change tomorrow, how much % should i change?

I haven't changed my filter media in a couple months, because everybody has told me i should NEVER change it unless its falling apart. It is now brown, with algae on it.

Here comes my biggest concern: Less than a month ago, i invested in a Marimo moss ball. I squeezed the ball out ALOT and rinsed it in old tank water, did a water change, plopped it in and had ABSOLUTELY ZERO problems. I am starting to thing i might have introduced something into my tank. It does NOT look like baby snails, and i ONLY saw them today, they just look like TINY white blurs with a "tail".

Can this hurt my betta? Are they beneficial at all?

There seems to be about 20-30, but its hard to tell.

I AM REALLY FREAKED, and i appreciate ANY help i can get!

-MRBF Please help! I am REALLY worried!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:20 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Probably some type of flat worm. It's commonly mistaken as Planaria so it's just an aqua worm. :) Harmless, but there has to be a source of food for them. Do more water changes and feed Honeycomb less. That's it. Oh, and I have that, too. When I do a partial change, I tend to wipe the glass with a paper towel. It gets rid of the worms there but there's still more at a lower level. Don't worry about it.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:22 PM   #3 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Probably some type of flat worm. It's commonly mistaken as Planaria so it's just an aqua worm. :) Harmless, but there has to be a source of food for them. Do more water changes and feed Honeycomb less. That's it. Oh, and I have that, too. When I do a partial change, I tend to wipe the glass with a paper towel. It gets rid of the worms there but there's still more at a lower level. Don't worry about it.
It dosent move in an "s pattern" like a worm though....

i only feed Honeycomb 3-4 pellets a day....

SO you have had these little "pests" before?

Phew, i feel a little better now :)

Old 08-15-2012, 11:26 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

They don't for some odd reason... :/ They just move around straight and all different ways. I do have them, most fish keepers experience this pest. My number has lowered because I have a filter, but I know you have one. :/
Old 08-15-2012, 11:31 PM   #5 
MyRainbowBettaFish

So water changes should do it?
Old 08-15-2012, 11:40 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Yes, but only get rid of some. Watch for uneaten foods.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:11 AM   #7 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
MyRainbowBettaFish . . I just made a thread last week freaking out just like you about the same thing. I too have a filter and don't overfeed but I figured out these things came from water I left out with peat granules in them .. the water was out on purpose to get to room temp for water changes. I ordered No-Planaria and used it the other day but I'm not sure if it worked yet.

My thigns don't have a "worm" look either. . .or worm-pattern of swimming.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:32 AM   #8 
cjconcepcion

honestly... they sound like baby snails to me. and they very likely couldve come from the moss ball
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:44 AM   #9 
bettafishfinnatic

i agree it sounds like baby snails.. lol i could be wrong though
bettafishfinnatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:41 AM   #10 
TheCheese909

Whenever you get a moss ball you should always QT it in untreated tap water for a week so you don't carry in any diseases or hitchhikers that they might have been carrying.

I don't know what it is you've got in your tank, but it seems like LebronTheBetta gave you good advise as that's pretty much what I would have told you to do to take care of it. :)
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
daphnia, lice, mysterious organisims