Betta Fish Forum banner

Clamped Fins, Not Eating, Inactive

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Destinystar 
#1 ·
Hi there,

I recently bought a Betta Fish - my second.

Tank Volume - 4 Litres
Temperature - 26-28 degrees Celsius
Accessories - Live Plant, Pebble Floor, Large Rock
Feeding Regime - 3 pellets per morning
Water Regime - 50-75% water change weekly, 100% water change monthly
Water Additives - Chlorine conditioner
Water Appearance - Clear, uneaten food removed

Concerns:
>Recently bought fish, was very happy for first few days, exploring tank, sleeping on plant, eating well, quite active
>This morning, fish was at surface of water, fins clamped, rejecting morning pellets
>Got home from work - same situation
>Currently at bottom of tank next to large, tilted rock - provides cover, fins still clamped
>Nil visual signs of infection (inflammations, rotted fins, white spots, etc)

I am worried that he is getting sick. My previous Betta contracted swim bladder disease and died soon after, age 2 years. He had also had bacterial/fungal diseases, which I treated successfully with antibiotic drops.

Am I overly concerned? Or am I missing something, please help.

See less See more
#2 ·
Here are some pictures....

The first is of my fish swimming about his tank 2 days ago... The second is where he has pretty much been all day....

I have read that 'black gills' can be a sign of ammonia burn... From day one I noticed that his gills were black (I assume the frilly bits coming from beneath the gill covers are the external part of the gill apparatus?) and constantly beating back and forth.... Is this a possible sign of disease?

#4 · (Edited)
I would prob do 100 percent water change, make sure temp is the same, and add water conditioner and stir before putting him back in. I would also add freshwater aquarium salt to help him oxygenate his gills better. About half a teaspoon per gallon but don't do it any longer than 10 days. You may also be able to use stress coat for fin and gill repair. Be sure to dilute freshwater aquarium salt in some of his tank water before adding. Also I believe more frequent water changes should be done for your size tank. I would do 75 percent every 3 days. Is there a filter on your tank? Not sure if your fish has ammonia burns or not but he sounds sick. It could be ammonia burns. I would get a ammonia test tube kit at petsmart and test ammonia levels every 24 to 48 hours.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754009

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754001

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754036

#7 ·
For a regular schedule, I'd do 1 100% and 1 50% per week. For ammonia reasons. A filter would prove too big and too strong for your little guy. Do these changes as I prescribed like a doctor ^ Lol. I'm sorry he's like this, but he'll get better. :) BTW, his head is supposed to be black, so his gills might be as well. Inflamed gills would be sorta red and sore looking.

#8 ·
I have a 5 gallon tank with a baffled filter. The current isn't too strong as long as it is baffled. I also have a air stone in the tank. Alpha likes to play in the bubbles and every once in a while, usually in the mornings I will see him go right in front of the water flow coming out of the baffle and play in it for a moment. A carbon filter does help some with the ammonia. They also make mini filters that don't have a strong current.

#9 ·
+1 with all the great advice others have offered. 4 litres is only about 1g if I'm not mistaken, if you can get about a 5g or ~18 litres that would be great. They can be sensitive to water conditions & with the small volume of water he is in more frequent water changes are required. If you do get a larger tank with a filter please read up on fish IN cycling a tank so that you can keep him safe, happy & healthy.

#10 ·
Hi,

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I am going to purchase a larger tank today, ammonia testing kit and filter.

The aquarium store owner thinks that he may just be adjusting to his new environment, however placed a 2 week time limit on this acclimatisation period.

Will keep you all updated.

#14 ·
So very sorry ! If you decide to get another at least you will be more prepared now and check the water for ammonia . It also good to test for nitrite and nitrate if you have a big enough tank with a filter and want to cycle it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.