Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Zebra dino

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day, skip 1 day a week

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 23%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aquarium salt

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A no test kit and local pet store doesn't do it

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Yes. Small white dots have appeared on a few of them. It doesn't look like ich. There are only a couple that have 1 or 2 dots. They aren't cottony.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Just a few minutes ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No. I have no idea what this is.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Young. Got them about a month ago.

My male betta died a few days ago from dropsy. I'm terrified that I may have somehow contaminated the females. Is it ich, or something else?
kaylashenhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:37 AM   #2 
BettaBaited

Can you post a picture?
BettaBaited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #3 
MSG

Photos would be helpful.

One one of my fish died of dropsy, the rest of the fish were fine & completely unaffected. Zebra danio was the one that ballooned up.

How many fish have the white dots?

How often do you add aquarium salt?
How much salt do you add?
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #4 
PaulO

I doubt its ick as I have female bettas too and they do have these areas on their bellies that resembles a white dot. I wouldn't fret since it's simply the egg spot, example: http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_anatomy.htm both of my girls have this as well so I wouldn't panic too much, just keep an eye on them and see if more spots develop or if other symptoms arise.

Last edited by PaulO; 08-16-2012 at 09:40 AM.
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

It's Ich if there's more than 1 dot. As you know, Ich is a parasite. They multiply and multiply. There HAS to be more than 1. It's contagious, which means you have to treat the whole tank.

First off, the Zebras shouldn't even be here. They have to have an AT LEAST 20 gallon tank. They're active little fish which need lots of room. How many of them do you have exactly? How many females?

To treat Ich, you need Aquarium Salt, an adjustable heater, and all the fish in the same tank. Crank the heater up to 84F. Use 10 teaspoons for 10 gallons. Dissolve the salt 1st before putting it in the tank. Treat the tank for 10 days MAX. You have to do a 75% water change and gravel siphon every other day since you have a filter. Why is Aquarium Salt in the tank the 1st place? You should never do that. After 10 days, it'll start to hurt the females' labyrinth organ.

Post a picture. What else do you think the dot is? Unless it's fuzzy or anything else, I think it's a small breakout of Ich.
If the dot is not on the females' ovisitor, it should be Ich. The single white dot between her pelvic fins is her ovisitor.

Lastly, which is pretty important. Why was the male Betta in there?! Males shouldn't be in with females unless there is MASSIVE filtration, heavily planted, and tons of decorations.

Please research before you but anything that involves a live animal.
I'm sorry that I was blunt, I'm just helping.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:31 AM   #6 
kaylashenhill

The dots are NOT their egg spots. These dots are on their fins and bodies. There are 5 females and it looks like only 3 of them have these little dots.

I have 3 zebra dinos. My friend who works at Petsmart said they would be alright to put in with the females because they're not aggressive.

And the male wasn't in their tank. I'm just worried that something got contaminated, like if I hadn't washed my hands well enough when I was changing their water or something. Just because I don't know what this is, doesn't mean I'm an idiot.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

I know, I didn't say that. Your friend was half right. They can go with Bettas, but they're a bit nippy. They also need a bigger school unless they'll feel insecure and stressed. The point is, you're not an idiot. You were just told wrong info from the people you trust. Did you quarantine the Zebras? Maybe they introduced the sickness.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #8 
kaylashenhill

Yeah, for a week. They all seem fine. I don't have a place to put my 20 gallon now, so I can't put the dinos anywhere. Wouldn't I just treat the whole tank anyway?

And there was salt in there because the package of salt said to add a little when doing water changes. I looked to see if it should only be added when the fish are sick, but I never found anything.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #9 
LebronTheBetta

Yes. You treat the whole tank with the females and zebras. Then you can move them. You shouldn't always listen to the package. Aquarium Salt is for external issues and shouldn't be in the tank 24/7. Just for sickness.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #10 
kaylashenhill

Alright. Thank you. I'm glad I found out now instead of like in a month. Now that I'm back from the pet store, I'm going to change the water. If I move all the fish into a 20 gallon, is it ok to keep the zebra dinos? They seem to get along fine.