Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2008, 01:41 PM   #1 
Mahoganywolf

HELP!

I was just changing the water in my Betta's one gallon tank. I had put him in the tank, in a little cup to get used to the slight change in water temperature and forgot to put the lid on. I walked away to dump the water from the container I had him in and come back to a "thunk" noise. My tank is above my computer at my desk (I live in a dorm) and he had jumped out and had fallen from the shelf, bounced off my moniter and flopped about on my desk. I carefully scooped him up as quick as I could and deposited him in the tank. He's not looking so well and his fins are really beaten up, especially his dorsal. I'm not sure but I think his side ones are injured. He wasn't moving them at first but I just looked up and he seems to be using them again. Do Bettas heal? Like I said, he pretty much looks like he got into a fight as far as his tail and dorsal fin go. Do you think he'll live?
Thanks guys!
Mahoganywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:47 PM   #2 
Cody

Re: HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoganywolf
I was just changing the water in my Betta's one gallon tank. I had put him in the tank, in a little cup to get used to the slight change in water temperature and forgot to put the lid on. I walked away to dump the water from the container I had him in and come back to a "thunk" noise. My tank is above my computer at my desk (I live in a dorm) and he had jumped out and had fallen from the shelf, bounced off my moniter and flopped about on my desk. I carefully scooped him up as quick as I could and deposited him in the tank. He's not looking so well and his fins are really beaten up, especially his dorsal. I'm not sure but I think his side ones are injured. He wasn't moving them at first but I just looked up and he seems to be using them again. Do Bettas heal? Like I said, he pretty much looks like he got into a fight as far as his tail and dorsal fin go. Do you think he'll live?
Thanks guys!
He should grow them back. Bettas are tough fish, so there would be nothing to worry about if his fins look slightly damaged. You could add a little Melafix maybe to help the growing process.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:27 PM   #3 
SST

Small, frequent water changes are best, such as 10% a day or 20% every 2 days. Melafix can help as well. Use 1/5 the dose on the bottle as bettas are sensitive to the ingredients. You can also buy it already watered down as BettaFix. Up to you. Yes, the fins can grow back. Regular feeding and excellent water conditions and as little stress as possible are what your little friend needs.
SST is offline   Reply With Quote