Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #1 
CHARLi3

Exclamation Placossumus Issue!

We have a Placossumus (probably misspelled) that we call Baby A. Right now; It's looking like she's getting fin rot :( What can I do to help her?
I know her fins haven't been nipped at, because most of it isn't at the tip of her fins, but more towards the middle. She swims just fine still, but I don't want it to end up killing her or getting to the rest of the fish in her tank :(
CHARLi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #2 
homegrown terror

aquarium salt. if you're not using it, start it up right away. there are several medical remedies available, but the simplest solution, and the one with the best long-term effectiveness is a pinch of aquarium salt.

is this the only pleco you have in this tank? they usually prefer to be kept in small groups (2-4 is fine).
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #3 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Plecostumos, i think. hahaha
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:34 PM   #4 
CHARLi3

We have one other in the tank. The aquarium salt wont hurt. Gold fish, right? (That's their tank mates)
Old 08-17-2012, 10:53 PM   #5 
homegrown terror

why would you put a pleco with goldfish? tropicals CAN NOT live happily with goldfish, they need drastically different water temperatures and conditions, can be hostile towards each other, and both species can grow very large. plecos only belong in tropical tanks, and goldfish only belong in goldfish species tanks.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:01 PM   #6 
BWG

Any idea what species of pleco it is? Some can live in subtropical temperatures like goldfish, but homegrown terror is right in that you'll have some decent to huge sized fish. Definitely wouldn't agree on them preferring groups though. Some species like the ones sold as common plecos are way too territoral for that.
BWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:13 PM   #7 
CHARLi3

Because our gold fish and the pleco live happily together and both our tropicals and gold fish need a heater? All our gold fish died before we put a heater in and now they're huge.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:24 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

How big is the tank? Depending on the species of goldfish and depending on the species of pleco you are going to need something in the 100 gallon mark at the very least. If you have a common pleco they grow massive, produce a lot of waste and have been known to eat the slime coat on goldfish.

Are you sure it is not a water quality issue? Knowing what your parameters are could help rule out things like damage from ammonia.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:12 AM   #9 
CHARLi3

It's a ten gallon tank, and we just did a water change. The ones we got are the ones from walmart... So I'm not quite sure what type they actually are.. But they are happy together, let the fish (if they can fit) into their little ship that they have. The goldfish can go right up to them and pick around them and the plecos don't do a thing.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:24 AM   #10 
LittleBettaFish

Eek. Afraid to say, goldfish need a much much bigger tank than 10 gallons. My goldfish is so stunted from living in a smaller tank that he is only half the size he should be and he is over 5 years old. It wasn't until I put him into a decent sized tank that he started growing again.

If you have common or comet goldfish they are supposed to reach at least a foot in length in ideal conditions in about a year. Even fancy goldfish can grow to the size of a baseball.

Plecos also need at least 20 gallons for the smaller species and at least 50-100 gallons for the bigger ones.

Your tank is massively overstocked (even if all the fish are quite small now). I would advise that you are either going to have to upgrade to a much larger tank or try and re-home your current stock. You are only going to run into problems further up the track and it is not fair on the fish to make them live in such cramped conditions.

Sorry.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote