Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2012, 12:31 AM   #11 
CHARLi3

Gold fish and plecos will only grow to what their tank is...

But right now that's not my concern, my concern is the fin rot x.x
CHARLi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:33 AM   #12 
LebronTheBetta

I'm sorry but that's a complete myth. The rot was probably because of the ammonia. The tank is overstocked, and has wrong fish. I don't know how to deal fin rot with Plecos. PLEASE do your RESEARCH before buying any animal. I'm sorry if I'm mean, but it's the truth.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:43 AM   #13 
Aus

The massive levels of ammonia that tend to build up quickly in a way overstocked, too-small tank is probably the most common cause of fin rot -- so I'd say nobody is out of bounds for suggesting you give your fish a much bigger tank.

And yes, these fish will become stunted in that environment - and then they'll more than probably drop dead many years before they ought to because of it. Anyone who cared for the welfare of their fish might want to pay heed to the experienced fish-keepers when told "the tank is too small".

I am not sorry for being blunt. :)

Be careful treating your pleco with salt, some species don't do well on it and also are sensitive to medications - try a half dose for him in a hospital tank.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:45 AM   #14 
CHARLi3

and I did.. The plecos will only grow to their habitat. So will the gold fish. If I move them to a bigger tank, of course they're going to grow. We've had them for seven months and haven't had an issue. We'll just try lifeguard and if that doesn't show any improvement, then I'll try the aquarium salt.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:48 AM   #15 
LebronTheBetta

No they won't. It's a FACT that Plecos and Goldfish will overgrow the tank, if you won't follow advice, expect some trouble. PLEASE follow our advice, and rehome them.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:57 AM   #16 
CHARLi3

I've had fish since I was five.. i have a little knowledge of fish. has anyone asked how many fish are in the tank? No. you're all assuming I have 20 fish in a ten gallon tank, just by the way it sounds.

All I asked is suggestions for fin rot, not a lecture about my tank. When I feel they need a larger home, and can provide one for them, I'll rehome them. I've done research and There's a reason I have very few posts on this site is because no one will stay on my topics or give me the help i need.

So i've said what I'll try to do, so PLEASE stop harping about my tank! You don't think my goldies and my plecos should be together, that's YOUR opinion! They've been happy with each other since we got them. I'm not asking what to put with what, we take guidlines from things posted in pet stores and look online before purchasing anything. The fact that our beta is ALONE in his three gallon tank is proof of that. He cannot be housed with any tetras or any other suggested friend, cept for snails we haven't tried them yet. I got my advice on something to try for fin rot, so this topic is closed.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:02 AM   #17 
LebronTheBetta

Fine then. Have it your way. Just remember that your fish are suffering but if you don't care, I don't care anymore. My Betta is alone as well. Snails produce too much ammonia in the tank so you need at least 10 gallon for that. And if it matters, IMO AND EXPERIENCE!!!!

I'm leaving this thread to the Pleco Experts. Good luck with this one.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:08 AM   #18 
BWG

Research like this? Goldfish (Carassius auratus auratus) Profile

Please don't complain when you come asking for advice and that advice isn't something you want to hear.
BWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:41 AM   #19 
kfryman

Okay to first treat finrot you need to find out what is causing it. The usual cause in fin rot is bad living conditions, so in a way everyone is on topic. Good clean water should clear it up, do 50% water change daily, if it advances try a half dose of aquarium salt 1/2 tsp/gal. As said some plecos can't tolerate the salt. Some can...

Remember gold fish are pins fish they need lots of space, a 10 gallon is too small for one gold fish, throw a pleco in the mix (Both are HUGE poppers) you have several problems that will happen. Just want to inform you. I am in no way jumping at you and yelling. But do take in the knowledge of others.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:06 AM   #20 
LittleBettaFish

What you have to understand is that by overstocking your tank, you are more than likely producing more waste and ammonia than your biological filter can process. Goldfish and plecos are some of the biggest waste producing fish in the hobby, and unless you have a fully established filter with plenty of room for media, you are guaranteed to be seeing spikes in ammonia.

Goldfish are capable of living for well over 20 years. They are more of a commitment than even a dog or a cat. To purposefully cause stunting in any animal is inhumane and unnecessarily cruel. Goldfish are incredibly hardy, and it can be years before you see the ill-effects of improper housing and care. If you truly want to be raked over coals, go onto a goldfish forum and see what they have to say.

Please don't disregard what the people say on this forum as fallacy. I can count on one hand the number of fish and pet store employees whose opinion I respect, and I have been to dozens and dozens of stores in the past few years. Any basic internet search will show that your stocking is grossly inappropriate.

So it is probably poor water quality that is causing issues with your pleco, and until you address the core of this issue you are just going to see an exacerbation of these problems.

If you have a liquid test kit for ammonia and nitrite, please use them and post your results here. If not, please at least go out and purchase them. Even if you are not going to take our advice on tank size, at least do not unintentionally poison your fish.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote