Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #1 
Seki

What do you guys think of this tank?

Okay, I know it's bad, but... I want another betta. I have Drago ins a 2.5 Aqueon Minibow, and he LOVES it, so I was originally thinking about getting another one of those, but then I saw another tank on Petsmart's website, and I was curious if any of you have this tank or think it looks like a good tank? I was amazed that a 5.5 gallon would be cheaper than a 2.5 gallon...

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...3Bamp%3B+Bowls

If I got this one, I could cycle it, right? Which would mean fewer water changes, and lower volume water changes... right? I would love to get a halfmoon (or a rosetail... if I could find one!) to put in there and decorate it in a zen theme (black and white, balanced, aesthetically soothing). Could I do a 5.5 gallon planted tank? Or would that maybe not work? I'd love input!
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:57 AM   #2 
MyRainbowBettaFish

My friend has the EXACT same tank, and it comes with the TOB FIN HOB filter, which i also have. The filter works perfectly, keeps the water clear, and has great chemical and biological filtration. You can cycle a 5.5 gallon, and if you want, to speed up the cycle, you can take some gravel or filter media from your 2.5 and put it in your 5.5's filter media or gravel.

This filter is kinda strong, so you would need to baffle like me and my friend did, with either a water bottle or sponge. The current might be way to strong for a HM or RT.

You could also plant it.

Good luck, and its a GREAT tank!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #3 
vilmarisv

And you can get a 10gallon for $38 online at Walmart
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #4 
Sceven

hmmmm, think I might get this baby for Rorschach, then Smog can have Rorschach's tank, then Hotarubi can have Smog's tank. Thank you for bringing this link up "Bookmarked"
Sceven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #5 
kellyyoungmoney

im planning on getting the same tank!
kellyyoungmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:34 PM   #6 
a123andpoof

watch the filter. It killed one of my fish. I had to put in a different one.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #7 
a123andpoof

Oh and a planted tank would work well. Mine is planted and I love it!
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #8 
Seki

Thanks for the replies! I'm pretty excited to get this tank! My birthday is coming up in November, and I know my parents always give me money, so I think this will be what I spend it on! Or maybe... I'll get it before that and just give myself an early birthday present. LOL

I will be very careful about the filter... I might even replace it, I have heard excellent things about Tetra's Whisper filters, so I might look into getting one of those. As for a heater, I am looking at Hydor heaters, have you guys used those at all? I want to get one for the 2.5 I have now because the Top Fin one I have doesn't seem to be heating the tank practically at all anymore. If they are good, though, I might get two and put one in the 5.5 as well?

http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-THEO-Sub...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t
Old 08-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #9 
megaredize

thats a really good price i would get it and you could always replace the filter in the future if it is a problem. i tend to never use the ones they come with i buy better ones. or you can just baffle it good so you wont have any problems.

oh and if you want to be bad you could always divide and then have room for even another =D
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #10 
Seki

I got this tank! I'm so excited! I already got the black and white gravel, although I am being patient until I can find the perfect plants and ornaments to put in it! I can't wait to show you guys what it'll look like when it's finished! I think it's going to look amazing! Then I'll cycle it and wait until I find the PERFECT betta to put in it.