Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #1 
labloverl

filter intake may be shredding fins

I've divided my 10 gallon into 3, and the fish in the section with the filter (aqua tech 5-15 HOB) is a VT male with very long fins. About 2 weeks ago, I was surprised to see a HUGE chunk of his tail missing, and just assumed that he bit it off. Well, it's slowly growing back, but today I noticed that the ends of his fins(just about every one) are shredded, and it looks like he's starting to turn into a CT. Would the filter intake be doing this? If so, how do I fix it?
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #2 
jenniijennii309

I am sorry poor thing maby try wrapping some cheese cloth or a lint trap on the bottom of the filter and securing it with a rubber band it should allow the partials to pass thru but not your fishes tail hope this helps
jenniijennii309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #3 
cataze

I have a Fluval pre-filter sponge over the end of my filter intake, and it works great! They are hollow, so they just slide right on!

http://www.amazon.com/Pre-Filter-Spo.../dp/B004K9A15G
cataze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #4 
labloverl

cataze, would putting foam inside the intake have the same affect?

But do the particals pass through the foam?

I'm trying to find something I can get at the LFS if possible.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #5 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by labloverl View Post
cataze, would putting foam inside the intake have the same affect?

But do the particals pass through the foam?

I'm trying to find something I can get at the LFS if possible.
I use a small piece of sponge on the inside of my intake..right at the end, and it works great. I also have a valve on the filter so I can adjust the power. The valves at Petsmart are really inexpensive, and make it much easier for me.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #6 
labloverl

Does sticking something in the intake tube not make the filter work harder? Would you have to make it snug enough so the filter couldn't suck it up, or is that even possible? Well, I couldn't find any filter foam at the store. Until I can get some, I need a quick fix. What is a cheese cloth?

I've some little tubes out of the craft mesh for the fish to swim through and lay in. Would wrapping a small piece around the intake help any?
Old 08-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #7 
cataze

The sponge I use is made to be used as a prefilter, so it's fairly "open". Water gets through fine, and it traps a little bit of extra crud. I just rinse it out in old tank water every other water change.

Since the sponge is black, you don't even notice it.
cataze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:35 PM   #8 
Pogthefish

Maybe its tailbiting? Lol just put a thin cloth tied around it and it will be good, also, try treating for chronic tail biting.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:24 AM   #9 
colorxmexravyne

i have that same filter and yes, it's the intake. my betta's fins (who's also a veiltail) have gotten stuck on it more than once. tbh, i'm to the point where i'm just going to switch filters because i've had to do too much doctoring with this one to get it "just right". i've heard that the pre-filters that Cataze mentioned will help solve this problem, but i haven't been able to find them anywhere in stores. :/
colorxmexravyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #10 
labloverl

I can't find them either. Today I'm going to try to wrap pantyhose around it with a rubberband.