Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #1 
TheCrabbyTabby

Is this anything to be concerned over?

Squishy, which I am soon renaming Valentino, because he is red, has a white bulging spot near his stomach area. I am worried about him. I switched him from NLS small fish formula to Hikari Bio Gold Betta pellets not too long ago. The water params all are the same since before I noticed, which is 0ppm on Nitrates Nitrites and Ammonia, plus, the pH is at 7.8 which its always been naturally since I brought him home. Water temp is at 80 degrees.

Here is a picture of him if you need it.
Attached Images

TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #2 
prodrumernate

looking at the pic.looks like over feeding.try not feeding for a day.and feed smaller amounts....ive gone thru it with a couple bettas..remember their stomachs are about the size of their eyes..and they will keep eating as long as u feed them...no feeding for 1 day.feed smaller amounts once a day.id say like 2 or 3 pellets once a day should be fine. :)
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:01 PM   #3 
prodrumernate

oh i forgot to ask.is there any difference in swimming behavior?example: staying at the top a lot,swimming sideways..staying at the bottom a lot?or struggling to swim down to the bottom?
Old 08-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #4 
TheCrabbyTabby

I would agree with you, but the thing is, I only feed 4 pellets to him once a day. That and I skipped a day or two to see if that would help and there was no discernible change. Its only gotten bigger since I first noticed it. Also, his swimming is just fine. He loves to attack his food too.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #5 
prodrumernate

is the lump on 1 side?i re read the post again and didnt see anything about if its just on a side or not..but want to make sure...if it is on both side or just the stomach region.my only guess would be over feeding..but i feed my fish a little more than you do and dont have that problem.unless he is eating something else..

not to say u dont know your own fish or anything.but are u sure its a male?judging by the find it looks female to me.if it is female it could be pregnant.had that happen once.thought i was over feeding her.just came to find out she was carrying eggs..

to make sure its a male...look at the bottom of its belly..if u see a little white tube.thats a female.it looks like it in the pix but really hard to tell.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:04 PM   #6 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodrumernate View Post
is the lump on 1 side?i re read the post again and didnt see anything about if its just on a side or not..but want to make sure...if it is on both side or just the stomach region.my only guess would be over feeding..but i feed my fish a little more than you do and dont have that problem.unless he is eating something else..

not to say u dont know your own fish or anything.but are u sure its a male?judging by the find it looks female to me.if it is female it could be pregnant.had that happen once.thought i was over feeding her.just came to find out she was carrying eggs..

to make sure its a male...look at the bottom of its belly..if u see a little white tube.thats a female.it looks like it in the pix but really hard to tell.
that was my first thought too...the finnage and coloration looks a LOT more female than male. she could just be incredibly gravid.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #7 
prodrumernate

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
that was my first thought too...the finnage and coloration looks a LOT more female than male. she could just be incredibly gravid.
i noticed the fins at first.the reason y in my first few post i never said male or female.but checked again at looking at the pic and looks a lot like a female.i have 2 females and 1 male but have gone through many females.

but i do agree.hopefully we can get confirmation or a picture of the underside to determine more.if it is surly female.then she just carrying eggs. :)
Old 08-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #8 
Purple

How long have you had her? If you've recently gotten her, it might be teh reason she's eggy. Some pet stores move the water from the boy's cups to the girl's... Gross, and egg-making.

It might be parasites as well, but you might want to ask someone who's seen more fish with parasites than I.
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #9 
TheCrabbyTabby

Gah!!! I always thought him to be male. O_O

I've had said fish for a little over a month and a half now, maybe two months.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #10 
prodrumernate

i had a baby and thought she was a male.then finally did some research on how to determine the difference and make sure.ever since then ive become pretty good with identifying male and female bettas.

i would think if it was parasites there would be a change in behavior of some sort.or not even eating..i could be wrong.i dont know much about parasites.1 person to ask would be OFL(OldFishLady)...

but my guess would be carrying eggs and it is a female.are u able to upload more pictures?even showing the bottom of the stomach..id hate to be wrong.but want to make sure.

and i agree with Purple,water could have been added from a males water.