Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #1 
RnB

Sorority Questions

So we are about ready to start up our Sorority again, we just have a few questions. We currently have 5 girls in the tank, just got 4 more today.

My first question is, 20 gallons enough space for 9 females? They have more than 2 gallons a space per betta, lots of plants, and 4 caves to hide in.

Second Question, six of our females are fullgrown, but three of are newer girls are a good bit smaller, probably atleast 30-40% smaller. Is this going to be dangerous for the little ones? Should I hold off on adding them or just hope that they learn their places quickly as submissives?

Third Question, some of our girls have some decent fin damage from fighting so far, I don't want to QT them unless absolutely necessary because I have heard that this will start the fighting over a new once they are re-added. Can I add Aquarium salt to the 20g tank to help promote fin repair and immune response? If so, How much would be needed? I heard you should use 1tsp/gallon for fin repair?

API Stress coat, is it any good? if so, should I add some to the tank in conjunction with the salt?

Thank you soo much!
RnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:03 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

My first question is, 20 gallons enough space for 9 females? They have more than 2 gallons a space per betta, lots of plants, and 4 caves to hide in.

YES

Second Question, six of our females are fullgrown, but three of are newer girls are a good bit smaller, probably atleast 30-40% smaller. Is this going to be dangerous for the little ones? Should I hold off on adding them or just hope that they learn their places quickly as submissives?

Not as long as you introduce them properly. I float my females for a week or two in cups inside the tank before releasing them. That way the old females get used to seeing the new ones before having access to them.

Third Question, some of our girls have some decent fin damage from fighting so far, I don't want to QT them unless absolutely necessary because I have heard that this will start the fighting over a new once they are re-added. Can I add Aquarium salt to the 20g tank to help promote fin repair and immune response? If so, How much would be needed? I heard you should use 1tsp/gallon for fin repair?

There's no need to add the salt. Just keep your water in pristine condition and the fins will heal.

API Stress coat, is it any good? if so, should I add some to the tank in conjunction with the salt?

Again, not necessary. The more chemicals you add to your water the more you are exposing your fish to. Save your money and care to provide them with clean water.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote