Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #1 
Kelly0727

Walmart rant/rescue

Ok so first the rant. Two weeks ago I just rescued two crown tails because of the water conditions they were in.. I complained to the manager and all. Now I go back tonight to find yet ANOTHER betta in even worse conditions... You couldn't even see the poor guy!

Of course I was saving this space for a little girl.. but I couldn't leave him there. The manager is just lucky I couldn't find him like last time..

Heres what he was in: (the dark spot on the right is him!)

Here he is after getting him in some clean water:

I dont know if you are able to tell by the photo but he does have a bit of fin rot, he has been starved, not to mention the ammonia poisoning... Going to see if I can get him to eat a blood worm in a couple hours after he calms down a bit. The family loves him though and have ended up calling him pewe because he is so tiny (not to mention skinny!)

He has a fighter spirit though! He's going to be beautiful once he feels better :)
Kelly0727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #2 
megaredize

omg im surprised he survived that and i thought my last betta's cup was dirty, this has to be the worse ive seen so far. you must have got him just in time.
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #3 
Kelly0727

It was horrible, you could smell the water from a mile away! And I know at least one employee saw them because they had fresh flake food in there.

Because his fins are clamped down he is having a little trouble swimming. He actually looks like hes twitching when he tries to swim. But I know he will get better in time.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #4 
jenniijennii309

Smile

Congratz on the rescue i hope he pulls thru i rescued mine too n i have had him 2 months n he is fisty and healthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly0727 View Post
Ok so first the rant. Two weeks ago I just rescued two crown tails because of the water conditions they were in.. I complained to the manager and all. Now I go back tonight to find yet ANOTHER betta in even worse conditions... You couldn't even see the poor guy!

Of course I was saving this space for a little girl.. but I couldn't leave him there. The manager is just lucky I couldn't find him like last time..

Heres what he was in: (the dark spot on the right is him!)

Here he is after getting him in some clean water:

I dont know if you are able to tell by the photo but he does have a bit of fin rot, he has been starved, not to mention the ammonia poisoning... Going to see if I can get him to eat a blood worm in a couple hours after he calms down a bit. The family loves him though and have ended up calling him pewe because he is so tiny (not to mention skinny!)

He has a fighter spirit though! He's going to be beautiful once he feels better :)
jenniijennii309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #5 
Kelly0727

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniijennii309 View Post
Congratz on the rescue i hope he pulls thru i rescued mine too n i have had him 2 months n he is fisty and healthy
Thanks I hope he does too. I dont start college classes until the 27th so hes going to have my attention 100% and apparently my cats attention too. They seem to like each other.. LOL
Old 08-17-2012, 07:16 AM   #6 
cataze

I have never seen water like that in my life. I'm absolutely appalled! How can the employees not know that water needs to be changed???? Ridiculous and irresponsible!

Sending healthy fishy vibes your way!!! Good on you for help him escape!
cataze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:38 AM   #7 
Shadyr

Just...wow. I thought Redfish was in a nasty cup when we brought him home, but that takes the prize. I hope he recovers, poor stress stripey fellow. He looks like he'll be pretty once he perks up.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #8 
lelei

RRRG theese Walmarts, and Petco's and all these places that just let the fish rot away in those cups is such horrible abuse, I am soo glad you got him out of that disgusting water, I would write to Walmart Corp HQ and attach the pic of that cup and the fish, before and after, and do your rant on them, ( in a semi-cool headed manner) but at the same time let them have it..I hope your lil Pewe gets better soon, Best wishes, and Keep us posted with his progress:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:05 AM   #9 
Coppermoon

Do you guys ever call Corporate? I did, got my local wally in trouble. They have vastly improved the quality of the care. I even got the NEW manager into the fish department and showed him the "sharks"/catfish had ICK and they treated the tanks. 2 weeks later I complained to him again and he said they had treated and those had JUST arrived. They now have someone checking the fish BEFORE they are put into the tanks and reject any with ICK. I also saw the "now" person in charge of the Betta cleaning the containers.
Coppermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #10 
buddhauser

That is sad! Im starting to hate walmart even though they do have deals. I went last night to walmart and I found 4 dead bettas. It looked like no one feed them or changed their water in weeks. I was devasted when I saw this and pulled them out so people could see how they dont take care of their animals and hopefully bring attention to this matter. So sad... this little one is lucky you saved him or else he wouldve ended up like the ones I saw. Good luck with him, keep us updated!
buddhauser is offline   Reply With Quote