Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #11 
Jessicatm137

The poor thing! I just don't get why some people just leave the poor Bettas to die. I hope he recovers!
Jessicatm137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #12 
Kelly0727

He is doing much better! Swimming normally now thankfully and is eating. No more stress stripes either yay! His coloring is starting to come in, boy is he dark! If he isn't directly under good lighting you'd think he was black!

Fins are still a bit clamped but that of course is going to take time. I do plan on sending a letter or e-mail about this after he fully recovers so they can actually SEE what a healthy betta looks like. Thankfully this Walmart only has bettas so I don't have to worry about nagging them about other fish as well.. I will try to get a photo of him soon.
Kelly0727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:58 PM   #13 
Koda

Oh my! That's just awful! I can't go through the pet section of my walmart anymore. I feel so bad for all those betta and want to take them all home, but I just don't have the room or funds to save them all :( Instead I go home and spoil my betta boys extra hard in hopes that it'll somehow make up for the neglect the others get.

I feel the same about my dogs too. I work at a vet/kennel and have seen my share of mistreatment on them too. Once I get home I have to give all my pups a big hug, at least my 4 are in good hands.

Glad your new boy seems to be getting better!
Koda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:57 AM   #14 
CandiceMM

Good for you!!!! I have so much respect for people that rescue any animal in need. Im sure your little guy is so happy right now, you are doing a wonderful thing for him and you should feel proud of yourself.
CandiceMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:53 AM   #15 
Kelly0727

Thanks Candice, you should be proud of your self too! I was following heart breakers thread and wow! He really has made a big recovery.

Pewe is going to be moved to a bigger tank now that he can swim better. I'm going to try and get pictures when I put him in the new tank since it has some better lighting than what hes in right now.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:34 AM   #16 
Friendlyfishies

I recently went to my local walmart, I havent looked at the fish there in yrs as even when I was little I didnt like how they were kept. I recently got a betta from petco and guppies and they are all in good health. I went to walmart to look at some tanks, see if they had a cheaper deal and I see 3 betta cups, they had barely any water in them and werent the cleanest...the fish were incredibly skinny and had poor finnage. One cup is on the 2nd shelf from the bottom, unless I were a 3 yr old i never wouldve seen it...oh plus it was by the shavings...the 2nd cup was up one level and again not anywhere near the fish department...the 3rd cup was on the top shelf, you could see him and he was by the filters...is it possible that ppl moved these cups around when they were checking out bettas? Ya I suppose so but I couldnt help but think to myself...what if the employees didnt see them moved...would they have ever found them or would they have just sat on those shelves for a long time without food and care? I put them on the top shelf where ppl could see them. I dunno, it was just weird and dissapointing...I personally have no intention of ever going back into that department...made me too sad. I hope they find good homes! and thank you for saving that one!
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:26 AM   #17 
Kelly0727

Most likely someone did move them, but regardless there was suppose to be employees restocking the shelves so one of the employees should have seen them. Even if they were just then moved.. the water situation has no excuse. Walmart just shouldn't be selling bettas..

You did a good thing putting them on a shelf where someone would see them though instead of leaving them where they were. Hopefully a customer or maybe.. just maybe an employee that just happens to care about fish will be there and do something to help them. Sometimes I wonder.. maybe it isn't the employees fault.. maybe walmart does not supply the employees with the things they need to change the water.. like water conditioner? Yes they sell it.. but they might say they cant use it because it would be money out of their pocket!

Just a thought since I've seen it at other places before. Thankfully the Petsmart and Petco near me takes very good care of their bettas. Some do seem in bad shape sometimes but that is because that is how they are arrived to them but they are treated for their fins and get clean water. Petsmart I actually have friends at from when I worked near there I would go every other day. It makes me thankful knowing they take care of the bettas.. because I hear all the time how they are worse in different states.

Also sorry I havent posted an updated photo.. this morning we had to put my dog down :( Old age has gotten to him sadly.. 14 long happy years. So it was a sad morning.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #18 
rosy delta

I guess we are lucky out my way. the petco, and LFS take care of the fish. You sometimes see poop in the bottom but never cloudy water. Walmarts dont bother to hire people who care about animals, just assign someone that department. they should not be allowed to sell live animals!
rosy delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #19 
Kelly0727

They really shouldn't. I guess we should be great-full they don't sell other animals as well.. but then at the same time if they did and neglected them too, I wonder if enough people would actually speak up about this! Dose neglected fish not count as animal abuse? :/
Old 08-18-2012, 11:01 PM   #20 
Kelly0727

Just an update on Pewe now that I finally got him into his new home. This is right after I put him in so he will have stress stripes.. but he has his color back!! You are really able to tell if you compare him to the picture of when he was first brought home.