Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #1 
Pixielator

Question Small Sucker Fish

But I wan't something besides snails in with my bettas. I don't like many fish, but one kind I do like is sucker fish. I wanted to get Borneo Suckers, but I found out that they get too large and like faster currents and colder water than bettas. I really want to find a type of sucker fish to put in with them, but every type I find grows to 4" or more. Are there any sucker fish that stay small and like similar conditions to bettas? I'd like to find one that doesn't grow past 2", but the smaller the better. Thanks in advance.
Pixielator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #2 
Alcemistnv

How big is your tank?
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:27 PM   #3 
Pixielator

I've got one 10 gallon with two opaque dividers so there are 3 spaces that are 3.33 gallons with one male in each. then I have an 2.5 gallon with one male, and right now I have 3 females, each of which are in a large kritter keeper, but I have an extra 10 gallon that I'm getting prepared to use as a sorority tank for the 3 girls. So I'll need suckers that I can put in a 2.5 - 3.33 gallon or at least ones I can put in a 10 gallon with my girls.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:52 PM   #4 
Alcemistnv

Well I keep being told you need at least 10 gallons for anything like a pleco/cory/otocat, etc.

But I think that those would be your options.. I'm jsut not sure how many of each...
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #5 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I love those sucker fish every time I go to my LPS I look at them and they have really small ones but I know they dont stay that small, but they are so cute !!!!! I would love to have one but I only have a 5 gallon right now with my Betta.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:23 PM   #6 
Pixielator

I know they're so adorable. ^-^

But another important reason I want a small sucker, is because of an incident that happened a few months ago. My husband caught some good sized minnows and brought them home, a week or so later he got an African Rope Fish. They were supposed to be fine together because the rope fish is a bottom feeder. Well, within the next few days 2 of the minnows went missing and we couldn't figure it out, until I saw the outline of a small fish in the rope fish's stomach.. Since the minnows sleep at the BOTTOM and the rope fish is a BOTTOM feeder, it was eating them while they slept. -.- So I don't want my suckers to hove mouths large enough to swallow my bettas, I'm especially worried about the girls. But so far it looks like the only ones I can use are otos, which I don't really like. :/
Old 08-16-2012, 11:42 PM   #7 
djembekah

i'm pretty sure the plecos need 20 gallons or more for the smallest species (could be wrong though)

they aren't gonna eat your bettas though. I have a bristlenose in my 29 with my betta girls, little zebra danios, and corydoras and snails. He just loves cucumber xD
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:52 AM   #8 
laoshun

a good fish that stays small are oto catfish.
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:15 AM   #9 
LittleBettaFish

No catfish can go into anything smaller than 10 gallons. Otocinclus and corydoras are active schooling fish that require a decent sized footprint to move around in.

You could possibly try a school of smaller sized corydoras (Corydoras pygmaeus comes to mind) in the 10 gallon, but that's about it. Otocinclus need a constant supply of algae, which a new, small tank does not have, and can be difficult to transition onto other foods.

Clown plecos stay small but they are expensive I believe and like all plecos, big waste producers for their size.

Other than that there are really no other options I could see that would work in the set-ups you have described.

Just read clown plecos reach around 5 inches so I reckon they would do better in a 15-20 gallon tank.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:53 PM   #10 
Pixielator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
No catfish can go into anything smaller than 10 gallons. Otocinclus and corydoras are active schooling fish that require a decent sized footprint to move around in.

You could possibly try a school of smaller sized corydoras (Corydoras pygmaeus comes to mind) in the 10 gallon, but that's about it. Otocinclus need a constant supply of algae, which a new, small tank does not have, and can be difficult to transition onto other foods.

Clown plecos stay small but they are expensive I believe and like all plecos, big waste producers for their size.

Other than that there are really no other options I could see that would work in the set-ups you have described.

Just read clown plecos reach around 5 inches so I reckon they would do better in a 15-20 gallon tank.
Are Corydoras scaleless fish? My sister just gave me some AQ salt because she can't use it since some of her fish are scaleless. I want to make sure that whatever other fish I put in with my bettas can handle AQ salt, because if I have to put some into the tank, I'd rather not have to chase a bunch of fish around with a net first.