Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2012, 09:55 PM   #1 
DanielleB

1/2 Gallon Tank Water Changes

Ok so I'm in the process of cycling my 5 gallon tank (i'm into the 24th day & nitrites are holding at 5.0 and ammonia drops everday, so I figure I'm getting close to the cycle finishing. I bought a Bette fish 3 days ago (couldn't resist) and am keeping it in a temporary 1/2 gallon tank i bought from Petco. I read where you should do a 100% water change every other day. But to that I would have to take out my Betta (named him Picasso) and keep him in another jar or glass for the few minutes I changed the water. Would that stress him out to much, netting him & placing him in & out of the tank every other day? I'm hoping the cycle will finish soon, so I can get him out of his cheap little motel he's staying in.
DanielleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:01 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Hm. You still need nitrates to know you're progressing. I'm in the middle of a cycle in my 3.5 gallon myself! Best of luck to you. :)
You should be doing 1 100% and 1 50% per week. It'll ensure the water is clean and the Betta is healthy.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:02 PM   #3 
TheCheese909

1 gallon tanks should be cleaned every other day, half gallons are just unsafe period. He's more then likely going to be stressed out yes, but it's healther for him to be stressed then to be sitting in his own ammonia filled tank.

If you kept his cup he came in you should be able to just scoop him out with that whenever you go to change his water. You can trick him into thinking he's going to eat so that he's up at the surface of the tank and you just scoop him up with the cup. It's less stressful and less dangerous then using a net.

Using API Stress Coat+ as the water conditioner will also help him be less stressed out during water changes. If you're thinking he's going to be in that little tank for more then a week you might be better off going to walmart and getting him a 1 gallon diamond tank. Those tanks are $10 where for the same thing at PetCo it's $15. If it's unfiltered you should be changing the water every other day, if its got a filter then once a week do a 100% change.

Last edited by TheCheese909; 08-16-2012 at 10:05 PM.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:16 PM   #4 
DanielleB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Hm. You still need nitrates to know you're progressing. I'm in the middle of a cycle in my 3.5 gallon myself! Best of luck to you. :)
You should be doing 1 100% and 1 50% per week. It'll ensure the water is clean and the Betta is healthy.
I am reading nitrates too. Everyday for the past ten days ammonia goes down to .25-.5
The nitrites have been holding steady at 5 everyday. The nitrites have been about 40-80ppm (hard to tell the shading on this test. As I'm in my 24th day would you say it's doing allright? Also the temperature is about 80-82 degrees and it is a well planted tank.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:20 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

Oh, that's great! Once everything is 0 besides the nitrates, you should put in about 2-3ppm of ammonia into the tank and at the next day, there should be none.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:20 PM   #6 
PaintingPintos

Wow. I'm happy you're taking the time to care for your fish. You're cycling the tank, carefully measuring the water parameters. I could never be that patient. I see you bought your fish already though xD
Good job cycling. I have no help to offer though.
Good luck!
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:23 PM   #7 
DanielleB

Thanks Lebron, that's very reassuring. Thanks for all your help.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:24 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

No prob. I hope Picasso loves his new home. ;)
Old 08-16-2012, 10:25 PM   #9 
DanielleB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintingPintos View Post
Wow. I'm happy you're taking the time to care for your fish. You're cycling the tank, carefully measuring the water parameters. I could never be that patient. I see you bought your fish already though xD
Good job cycling. I have no help to offer though.
Good luck!
It's the geek girl in me :)
Actually it's driving me crazy waiting. I'm not a very patient person.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:07 PM   #10 
BettaQi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleB View Post
It's the geek girl in me :)
Actually it's driving me crazy waiting. I'm not a very patient person.
I hear that! I am so tempted to just by some Eco Complete so I don't have to wait out the nitrogen bubbles in my substrate!
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote