Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2012, 10:05 PM   #1 
Ant10a

Exclamation Getting worried...

So, as I explained in another thread, my betta was in a 10 gallon, with about 4 gallons of water.

The tank broke so I bought a 1 gallon tank and put him in it. He was fine yesterday but today I noticed his gills going in and out like he is heavily breathing. He comes up for food and swims around, but is laying on the glass gems at the bottom, and looks like he is gasping for air and its making me really nervous.

He still eats. His water was changed yesterday when he was put into the new tank, he was acclimated. The water was the same source and method from the water I used in his last tank and for changes. His appearance is the same, and nothing else has changed.

I know that it may take a bit of time to get used to the new home, but I don't think the breathing heavy or whatever it is, is normal. It has got me worried.
Ant10a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:41 PM   #2 
Ant10a

I am so nervous it is something serious.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:45 PM   #3 
GawfFish

How often are you changing the water? What's the temperature?
GawfFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:12 AM   #4 
Ant10a

I just put him into the 1 gallon and acclimated him to it. I did a 50% last night.

I do one 100% a week and 2 50% each week.

I am thinking it was caused by stress and nervousness. New home, less space, less hiding spots, and the noise yesterday was out of this world in the house due to moving and a thunderstorm we had that literally shook the house.

He is still sitting on the bottom, but ate his food and has moved around a but, I think the gasping action has stopped. I will keep watching though.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #5 
Ant10a

I found him dead this morning laying on the bottom :(

I don't know if the stress got him or if he had something else wrong with him and I hadnt noticed till last night since he was always hiding...

I knew something was up when he was gasping for air while sitting at the bottom, but didnt know why.

He was my last fish I got and the first one to go :(
Old 08-17-2012, 10:28 AM   #6 
GawfFish

Oh, I'm so sorry! It could have been any number of things, many of which you may not have been able to fix. I am so sorry for your loss. :(
GawfFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #7 
Ant10a

Thank you.

I don't know what it was. I hope it wasnt stress related. Someone told me it could have been an internal issue that I didnt notice and then it was too late...

I'm upset that I dont know what was wrong, so I couldnt help. It happened so fast.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:17 PM   #8 
lelei

Oh, I am soo sorry for your loss, You provided him with a good home, and love that he may have not had elsewhere, Sometimes, an uderlying condition is something we are unaware of...SIP ~ Under the Rainbow Bridge~
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote