Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #1 
Pogthefish

Just got this fish yesterday and something is SERIOUSLY wrong with her? Birth defect?

Ok so I got 8 fish in the mail yesterday from a breeder who promised no irth defects and nothing wrong, and I trusted her (and still do) The fish are all great, all perfectly healthy (from what I know, haven't had the 24 hours) But on looked a bit strange, was said to be cambodian, but had read on the mouth, head and gill, which wasn't in the pictures I was sent. I also noticed the gills, particularly the left were inflamed. At first my immediate reaction was a parasite, so I watched her a bit, and I noticed either a piece of food, or a bubble, I still don't know which, lodged in her gill! I immediately put her into the breeder net divided with 1 other girl, and picked her up until she stopped flopping around, and stuck my fingernail in her gill and pulled out until I couldn't see whatever it was. I then left her in the net (more of a box) and watched some more and noticed ANOTHER bubble lodged in, so I guessed I had pushed the other, which I assumed to be a bubble, back in. As I was getting ready to grab her again, I noticed her reaching up to gulp some air, and I saw it all come out her left gill! I watched some more, and I saw ti happen again! Then I rushed to my laptop, and here we are now! What is wrong? Was I wrong n acting so quickly? Did I damage her gill? It is still sticking out.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #2 
Laki

Hmm I don't know. HOw far out did you pull the gill? And was her breathing the same before and after? Contact the breeder and supply pics and details. Anything could have happened to her during shipping
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #3 
Pogthefish

I already did ask for pictures just after I asked. When I put my nail in, at first it wasn't very far, but after it was a bit further than I intended :/ She was still flopping every few seconds, so I was acting fast! D:
Old 08-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #4 
Pogthefish

Ok, I have 4 pictures, and to the best of my knowledge, she is top left.
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #5 
Laki

She does look a bit weirder than the others there.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #6 
Pogthefish

OhI forogt to fill out the thingy, hold on. Also, I took a few pics of her compared to other fish from that same spawn and she is smaller and thinner. Her head is really red now and She can only eat bloodworms, everything else she either spits out or can't even get in her tiny mouth. I'm in a hurry, so I will update tonight with the other info, so sorry T-T
Old 08-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #7 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

If it was air bubbles, I wouldn't worry.. Mine do occasionally pass bubbles out of their gills and I think it's normal.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #8 
Pogthefish

Hers are getting stuck in th gills, though. She is also smaller than the rest of the fish.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #9 
Pogthefish

Housing
What size is your tank? 30 gal
What temperature is your tank? 80.1 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 6 sisters, and 2 others but they are floating in glass jars right now.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? She was on attisons betta pro but she doesn't seem to be able to eat the pellets, they seem too big, I tried tetramin tropical crisps, but she spits most of it out, so right now just freeze dried bloodowrms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Still getting into a schedule.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 3x a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 15%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?API tap water conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Read splotches on head
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not much, slightly less social
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Whe I first got her
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? separated from the rest of the fish, thats it..
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? 13 weeks
Old 08-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #10 
homegrown terror

just a guess from her posture, she looks like she could have a swim bladder infection. i had a goldfish who had one, he could never "right" himself in the water, and would always do backflips and twirl about instead of swimming straight. does she do any of that?
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote