Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2008, 06:29 PM   #1 
bookdragonsden

Help - Sick or Injured Beta

Please help me. I cleaned my daughter's beta tank and now she is just staying on the bottom of the tank and won't swim or eat. I think I either shocked her with too cold water or may have hurt her when I caught her to remove her from her tank. I am so upset. I there anything I can do to help her. I added warm water immediately when I realized something was wrong but it didn't help. Thanks. Denise
bookdragonsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:29 PM   #2 
Oldman47

I know its obvious but you did use water conditioner to remove the chlorine I hope.
When changing water, its important to also match temperatures. You can tell within one degree if you have a temperature match by just moving your finger back and forth between the water the fish is in and the new water and feeling the temperature. A half a degree match takes a little practice but is not impossible.
Your fish needs clean warm water but it should not be any warmer than the fish is accustomed to. The match is far more important than the actual temperature up to a point. If the bettas home is not heated, it may be too cool for her comfort this time of year. That is the main reason that people use heaters in the tank. It keeps the water warm and more importantly it keeps the temperature constant. For a betta, the temperature is best between about 76 F and 82 F. Without a thermometer, you won't know what it is.
Oldman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:22 PM   #3 
bookdragonsden

I use bottled spring water. I don't have a thermometer but will buy one tomorrow. I will try adding more heated water. I'm scared that I either shocked her too much with a temp change or damaged a fin by catching her in my hand, although I was very gentle. Thanks.
bookdragonsden is offline   Reply With Quote