Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2012, 03:45 PM   #11 
mkayum

How long would they live? one to two years or more?
mkayum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #12 
mkayum

Pic of my tiger nerite snail and my 20 gallon tank....

TNS and his friend, bamboo shrimp.. (:

My 20 gallon tank...
mkayum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #13 
registereduser

MSG has lots of aquarium based drama

I had 3 zebras, one climbed out of the tank and died.

They do a great cleaning job. I had to special order them from Petco and $3 is a great price IMO. If you have 2 in a tank they might lay eggs but the eggs won't hatch. They look like tiny sesame seeds.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #14 
MSG

My bettas are all very observant & active. They're exploring all day long. That's probably why they cause so much trouble.

They all healed up nicely now. Even the siphoned & the stuck in decoration one.

The one that kills snails has demolished....
  • ramhorns
  • pouch
  • pond
  • baby mystery
  • trumpets

Anything that moves in the tank, she'll follow, observe & try to eat.

I have a apple snail a little smaller than a golf ball, but I know this betta would kill it by ripping off it's tentacles. I'm sure she would try to eat it if she could get the shell off.

Wow, you do have a tiger snail, but it doesn't have a nice looking shell. Does a blemished shell mean it's not getting enough nutrients?

With a betta like mine, I'm done buying snails. I'm not going to attempt to place a shrimp in my tank.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #15 
Striker0086

I just got one of these guys yesterday. Mine is a tiger nerite. The LFS that I went to also had a zebra. And a slightly smaller one that I was going to get but it was an empty shell. So far it has cleaned off most of one of my little decorations. I am surprised by how much it was able to get off so far. I hope I can keep this snail alive. I was going to get some algae wafers in case, but I was short by 20 cents XD So can anybody refer me to some basic care instructions for these guys. I have a rough idea of how there exact care goes as I have been looking into getting a snail for a while and did a little research a while back.

As far as shell complexion goes. From what I have read that could be possible a lack of calcium in the snails dies which leads to a weak shell that will become pitted and develop holes. So try feeding it high calcium food. ie broccoli and spinach Or put some type of calcium source into the tank like pieces of cuttle bone.

If anybody see's any flaw in my advise, please correct it as this is just part of what I remember from my research.
Striker0086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #16 
Striker0086

They also need to have water that is a little more basic, about 8. Low pH water will eat away their shells.
Striker0086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #17 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Not the pH so much. Low KH (calcium hardness) means low mineral content especially calcium. Low pH can be an indicator.

Before you try to raise your KH (buffer) with seashells or something organic. Make sure your pH is nominal: EI in the 7 to 8 range.

Snails may like a pH of 8 (and the calcium/minerals that go with that), but even adaptable Betta have their limits.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:06 PM   #18 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

KH is carbonate hardness. CO3 is carbonate, often bonded to calcium, yes, to produce CaCO3, which is the essential component of every invertebrate's shell. KH directly affects pH.

gH (general hardness) is the measure of minerals, namely calcium and magnesium, but others (such as sodium) also come into play here. This is totally independent of pH. You can have pH of 8 with kH 200ppm, and gH of 40ppm, it does happen in the wild.

In greatly acidic waters, freshwater snails can have their shells dissolved, the water drawing out the carbonates from the animal's shell. More common in a too low pH though is the invert simply cannot grow, and often becomes weak.

Many nerite species are found wandering around in acidic waters with unreadable calcium levels in the wild, I remember reading. This is the best snail for an acidic tank, I am not sure what is going on here but I don't think pH is affecting this snail at all. A calcium supplement never hurts, though.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:25 AM   #19 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Whoops. Misspoke. And you know i know better, Olympia. (What I get for posting at six in the morning.)

Thanks for the correction and further explication.

Last edited by Hallyx; 09-09-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:41 AM   #20 
MaisyDawgThirteen

My snail (in my avatar) looks exactly like that!! Is it a tiger of a onion colouring. It was sold to my by my LPS as an 'onion/zebra' snail.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote