Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #1 
CandiceMM

Smile Do You Have Any Homemade objects For Your Betta?

Does anybody have any homemade decor or hammocks for their Betta's? I need some ideas for my guys and would love to see peoples photos.
CandiceMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

I used to have a candle holder from the 99c store and I tied an anubias nana on it to make it a natural looking betta house.
Only thing I ever made from a household item.

I also weighed down some water wisteria in the same candle holder but in white to make ot look like a pretty planter. My shrimps loved to hide in there.It's on the left, with the anubias covering the entrance.

ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #3 
inareverie85

Those candle holders are a BRILLIANT idea! I might have to get some.
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:24 AM   #4 
CandiceMM

What a great idea!! I love it, it's the perfect home!!
CandiceMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:39 AM   #5 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
I make little "castles" or towers for my bettas. This one is new, I made it from kiddie cups made from silicone, but I don't know where you'd get it cheap. They're not that cheap but I like them because they are soft and I can cut holes with just a regular scissor. I also use aquarium glue to glue silk flowers on some of them, I had a green "tower" I glued silk leaves to and it blends better if you stick it near green plants. I have a ton more photos of DIY things like this, I will post photos when I organize them. There is an airhole cut out at the top of the "tower" in case you use it in a more shallow tank or because I noticed some of them like to swim out the tops.

Last edited by mursey; 07-29-2012 at 01:40 AM. Reason: add one more thing
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:23 AM   #6 
Pilot00

Dont have my camera but i have an airfix model (painted and all) Renaissance British battleship (it must be the HMS Prince) cut in half and dropped to the tank. Lots of my fish have used it as a cave and now Piou (my betta) takes frequent rests between it and a java fern.

A decade ago my parrot fish layed eggs atop its deck and patrolled it regularly. It was so cute ^^

Last edited by Pilot00; 07-29-2012 at 05:30 AM.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #7 
BettaQi

Thx everyone for this great thread!
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:32 AM   #8 
teeneythebetta

Oh there's a thread on making hammocks.. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=104223
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #9 
MollyJean

(The first one in the last pic is unfinished, it needs to be smoothed out, but the other 3 are ready!)

These are made from the left-over pieces of folding cutting boards, which I use for dividers. I picked up 3 boards for 4 bucks at Big Lots. They cut really easy, too!

The suction cups are from paddles my daughter got last Christmas. One broke, so she started pulling the suction cups off to use on her mirror and for various crafts. I scrubbed the ones I used then boiled them.

And aquarium safe silicon to hold it together.

I just cut the leaf shapes, scoured the center to fold them up, put a few cuts in the "stem" and folded them at the tips, so the silicon would hold better, filled the back of the suction cups with silicon and pressed the "stem" in. The tips where rounded off and I checked the sides to make sure there were no jagged areas. They took like 5 mins each to make and sat for 2 days before I put them in the tanks.

All of my boys have them and they ALL use them, some more then others. The boy in my pic, Robin, has made the whole thing worth while. His fins are far too extensive and he uses his 2 hammocks (one on the front of his tank, one on the back wall) all the time. And really I made the whole thing from scraps and stuff I already had, so it was pretty much free.

Last edited by MollyJean; 07-29-2012 at 11:49 AM.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:20 AM   #10 
KevinPham123

Nice DIY leaves MollyJean!
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote