Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #11 
JessSH

Thanks everybody! I really appreciate the input! I still haven't decided yet because when I woke up today he seemed to be doing much better. His color is mostly back & he's active as long as I'm not too close to the tank, ate his pellets today & doesn't appear to be in any distress. I'm seriously considering treating him now, but buying clove oil as well just in case. If it is TB, I don't believe it's treatable. However, I have looked into API General Cure for internal/external parasites. I just feel like something is off. I feel that I need to treat with something before I give him up to TB. I've never used it before, so my concern is: will General Cure cause him any distress if I'm wrong?

Edit: Does TB go up & down like this? From what I've read it seems to be a steady decline.

Last edited by JessSH; 08-17-2012 at 06:53 PM.
JessSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #12 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

If he does have TB you are only prolonging his suffering. The drug I recommended will cover any bacterial/fungal issues and is used for severe illness. It is the only drug that stands a chance against TB, will take on other bacterial issues just as well..
For parasites.. levamisole or metronidazole are good options.
You are dealing with a serious problem from the sounds of it, even if he does look better today, I would not waste my time with general cures...

Just curious, who diagnosed the TB?
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #13 
JessSH

Thank you Olympia, that is an exellent point. I guess what I'm struggling with is it TB or not? The lesions cleared up easily, he's a DT so that may be why he has a slightly curved spine, plus it was much worse when I bought him & it straightened almost completely within 4 days. I was told he probably had TB on this post:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=110286
Old 08-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #14 
Pogthefish

If it is TB, he would likely have skin lesions. Also, watch out for dropsy, if it IS dropsy, just euthanize, its hopeless. Drosy is the final result of many illnesses and the fish's scales stick out sorta like a pinecone, often acompanied by bloating, loss of color, loss of apatite, abnormal excretions or none at all, lethargy, and swim-bladder disorder.

NOW if it does come to euthanization, the most painless way is to use clove oil before whatever you do. I used clove oil then cut off the head, but you can use clove oil and some sort of alcohol, or even bleach, but make sure that the fish is fully asleep. You can also just overdose on clove oil.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #15 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Hmm well I do trust BB's opinion. Maybe she should have another look at the current situation and we should see what she has to say.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #16 
JessSH

He actually came out of his cave to say hi. He is thinner, but not emanciated. Just not as sturdy looking as he used to be...The whole reason I started this thread was to make sure I knew when to end his suffering, now it seems like I am trying to prolong it. I really don't want to, but I think maybe it's time I get the clove oil...
Old 08-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #17 
Pogthefish

Well if he is improving, still try. I mean..
Old 08-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #18 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
But since bettas are tropical fish I wouldn't advise using the frozen water method.
What difference would that make when you're euthanizing? I've been fortunate to not have had to do it but from what I've read in multiple places & forums that is a preferred method. Please don't take offense, I'm just curious about your comment.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #19 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessSH View Post
He actually came out of his cave to say hi. He is thinner, but not emanciated. Just not as sturdy looking as he used to be...The whole reason I started this thread was to make sure I knew when to end his suffering, now it seems like I am trying to prolong it. I really don't want to, but I think maybe it's time I get the clove oil...
Nobody wants to do it but sometimes it's necessary. I'm very sorry this is on your shoulders to deal with. I could throw out a few clichés but they won't make you feel any better.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #20 
Pogthefish

Guys! If the fish is improving, maybe he has hope! Look at it that way for once? th first step is figurign out what this is.