Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #11 
PaintingPintos

MAYBE Ash is just molting...I have NEVER seen him molt, and if he dared molt my betta would have eaten him, because he always managed to creep into wherever Ash was hiding.
Now, I swapped out the big gravel pieces for little natural-colored gravel. VERY pretty. Burnt sienna, yellow ochre, burnt umber, etc, colors in that range are mixed into the gravel. It's like 2 pieces of gravel deep. I also took VERY tiny Terra Cotta pots (I think 2 inches across) and used tile nippers to make bitty little hideouts.
I was trying to make a little abode that would look like a flower pot upside down but with a small hole at the rim so the shrimp could hide inside.
Instead the pots snapped in half so I had to make do and nip them down to each a little less than half....I put 2 in the tank, one on each side.
Also in the back in the middle I put the moss ball, now slightly flattened just to switch it up a bit. That's all I put in for now since Ash had little room to swim before and I think he needs some exercise...I'm not gonna be putting him an "exercise bucket" every day xD
As I was adding the rest of the water, Ask immediately swam into one of the pots. I hope he either dies in peace there, or decides to do a molt.
I think if I had aquarium-safe sand with lots of live plants I'd make a little burrow out of maybe small PVC tubing and aquarium sealant.
I'm just happy that Ash is OK right now.
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:23 AM   #12 
SpookyTooth

It sounds like a lovely home for him. I'm sure he appreciates the effort you're making for him - I know I would.

There is one downside though.

You're making me wish for ghost shrimp again! They are such charismatic little things. Hehe.

Holding out hope that he's going to moult!
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #13 
PaintingPintos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyTooth View Post
It sounds like a lovely home for him. I'm sure he appreciates the effort you're making for him - I know I would.

There is one downside though.

You're making me wish for ghost shrimp again! They are such charismatic little things. Hehe.

Holding out hope that he's going to moult!
Yes, shrimp are addictive.
When I woke up this morning at 10 (I know, I went to bed at like 2am) I showered then looked at Ash. He was sideways in the gravel, lying next to an exoskeleton.
So he DID want to molt.
I nudged him right side up using a barbecue skewer, and dropped in like 20 pellets in hopes that he would get close to one.
One fell DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF HIS MOUTH.
Not even a mere millimeter away.
But he was so weak all he could do was wiggle his swimmerettes feebly then he collapsed and his whiskers moved around once a minute.
He died in front of me.
Poor baby.
I want another ghost shrimp REAAAALLLYYYY badly now
I wonder what happened though.
I guess other people's shrimp turned white and died due to failure of molting....
Poor little shrimp. I think maybe he was low on calcium.....
Also, he only molted after I supplied nothing but gravel, two 1/3 pieces of flower pots to hide in, and a moss ball.
I guess contrary to ghost shrimp knowledge they prefer open space with one or two plants.......Ash wasn't swimming around much or half as excitedly when I put lots of plants in his tank as opposed to the bare setup.
Poor, poor shrimpy.....
Today I went to a pony party with my mentor and I helped her out a TON and afterward we went to a parade so we could walk our horses in it (yaaaay) and I got paid, so I am heading to PetSmart ASAP to get a bunch of new supplies plus 1 or 2 Ghost shrimp. I was low on money (I was at the bare minimum......rolls of dimes, nickels, and pennies) so now I'll spend it all.
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:34 AM   #14 
SpookyTooth

I'm so sorry You did really well with him, I'm sure he lived a long, happy life with you. I know your future shrimp will thrive in your care! Good luck with them and I'd love to see some photographs of them and their home if you're able and feel up to it.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote