Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #1 
Tyler

Question How long should I allow the spawning pair to stay together?

I've been looking through other threads, and I have come to the conclusion that most people will leave the bettas together until they spawn, or you remove them because of too much damage to the girl. Is this correct? What is too much damage?

Last edited by Tyler; 08-17-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #2 
otter

okay I have never bred before, but I think the correct amount of time is between when you let the female out of her jar in the tank with the male when shes is full of eggs and after the male puts all the eggs in the nest and becomes protective over them, but I think the amount of time varies on the betta. If the male is super agressive and starts to really injure her then take her out, but they are pretty tough and ripped fins are expected. some pairs are really gentle though.. or so Ive heard so your breeding experience will vary depending on the pair
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

I don't base it on how the females looks but on how the females acts. If she is really stressed and hiding especially with her head in a corner...I remove her....

Torn fins, missing scales can be normal and expected with some pairs and doesn't mean you have a problem per se'

I feed my breeders before, during and after spawning....If you keep them together for more than a couple of days-You might want to offer some food and make a water change if its been longer than 4 or 5 days...If you have access to mosquito larva offer them.

How did you condition them and for how long, tell us about your spawning tank and method you are using. Is this your first spawn with them.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

First time breeders may take longer before they spawn - the longest I've experienced is 1 week.

As long as the female can still swim properly. If she remains motionless - specially when the male attacks - is when I remove her. Females looks .... well mine can end up finless but still spawn.

Something I recently experienced is the female physically in tact but suddenly dies. I later realized that the male approaches and attacks the female's head/belly area from below. So watch out for those kind of males - 4 direct bites (and bump - the force created when the male rushes upwards to bite) may kill the female.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:36 PM   #5 
Tyler

Ok, thank you, I will watch for that.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:22 AM   #6 
Tyler

I conditioned them for about 2 weeks with pellets, because they wouldn't eat the bloodworms I was feeding them. I took them out and I am going to recondition them with bloodworms, some microworms ,if they will eat them, and pellets for a week. Then I will introduce them with the shock method. My tank is 10 gal with 4-5 in of water good water conditions a sponge filter, fake plants, a 50 watt heater, styrofoam cup, covered with tin foil. Technically this isn't there first spawn cause they physically wrapped earlier, but he ate the eggs, but I would really say yes.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:32 PM   #7 
tpocicat

The only time I had to remove a female was when she was trying to jump out of the tank because she was so scared. Usually there is no problem with a few torn fins and maybe a missing scale or two.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #8 
Tyler

Talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire XD,
Old 08-21-2012, 11:44 AM   #9 
tpocicat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire XD,
LOL too true.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote