Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #1 
missykay98

Unhappy help! our oscar is sick:-(

We bought our male beta(oscar) a few months ago. Hes beautiful blue and green color. Two days ago i noticed he was lathargic and his colors are not as bright as usual. I imediately did a water change since it had been 4 days since his last change. Today he looks like hes turning black. Ive read articles that suggested epson salt. So ive done that. Im not sure that its helping. Hes floating a little crooked and refuses to eat. The kids and i have never owned a beta before and im not sure what to do. Someone please help!! We dont want to lose oscar
missykay98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Hi, sorry to hear your baby is sick.
It'd be great if you can fill this out to the best of your ability, it will help us see if there is anything immediately wrong with his care and we can work from there.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #3 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

First off what size tank is he in and how often have you been doing water changes ? Is it heated ? Can you get a picture of him to post that would help so much for people trying to help.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:48 AM   #4 
missykay98

He's in a small 1.5 gallon tank. I'm getting him a bigger tank for sure but i dont want to put a sick oscar in the new tank until he's better. I change his water about every 5 or 6 days. The tank he's currently in is not heated and has no filter. He has no tank mates. I feed him tropical fish flakes that i purchased from Walmart(No petstore around my area). I feed him everyday but only an amount he can have eaten within 5 minutes(i had read an article stating this is all he needed once a day). I always do full water changes and i make sure the water is the same temp as his water to prevent shock. I have a distilled gallon water jug that i keep tap water with the correct amount of Aqua safe according to the instructions. I noticed him acting lathagic about 2 days ago. I did research and decided he prob had bacterial infection so i added some epsom salt to his water. We have only had him since early June. He was bright blue with some green and now his head seems to be changing to black. I hope Ive answered well enough that maybe you can help figure out how to make him well. My kids and I are huge animal lovers and I will be heart broken if I have to tell them he didnt make it.(their first fish) Thanks SOOOO much for all of your help!!!
Old 08-18-2012, 06:51 AM   #5 
missykay98

[quote=missykay98;1204028]He's in a small 1.5 gallon tank. I'm getting him a bigger tank for sure but i dont want to put a sick oscar in the new tank until he's better. I change his water about every 5 or 6 days. The tank he's currently in is not heated and has no filter. He has no tank mates. I feed him tropical fish flakes that i purchased from Walmart(No petstore around my area). I feed him everyday but only an amount he can have eaten within 5 minutes(i had read an article stating this is all he needed once a day). I always do full water changes and i make sure the water is the same temp as his water to prevent shock. I have a distilled gallon water jug that i keep tap water with the correct amount of Aqua safe according to the instructions. I noticed him acting lathagic about 2 days ago. I did research and decided he prob had bacterial infection so i added some epsom salt to his water. We have only had him since early June. He was bright blue with some green and now his head seems to be changing to black. I hope Ive answered well enough that maybe you can help figure out how to make him well. My kids and I are huge animal lovers and I will be heart broken if I have to tell them he didnt make it.(their first fish) Thanks SOOOO much for all of your help!!!
Old 08-18-2012, 07:51 AM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Okay lets see what we can do for Oscar. First thats no enough water changes since he is in that size of tank, for that size he needs at least 2 and better would be 3 water changes a week. You could do two 50 percent water changes and one 100 percent water change per week and some would say maybe more. He really needs a heater and being cold will make him not active so that might be your problem right there. The Epsom treatment is fine but maybe you should stop and try to get him n some warm clean water and see how he does for a couple of days.

His water temp should at least be 76 but 78 is better and sometimes its hard to find a heater that small that works without over heating a gallon and half tank. But you should try ask at the pet shop if they have a heater that will work for that size. The flakes are alright but the Betta Pellets are much better and I use New Life Spectrum Betta Pellets, three in the morning and three at night. Never leave uneaten food in his water, and the pellets are so much easier to get out if he doesnt eat them.

I think he would be fine to put in a bigger tank now with a heater. I really have no idea about the color change unless he is that type of Betta who changes colors and believe it or not there are some that do. Good luck I hope this helps be sure and update on how he is doing ! Ask more questions anytime you need to, this forum is a great place to find out proper Betta care !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beta, color, dieing