Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #1 
Tigress

Advice on planted 6.6 gallon divided betta tank

I have had this set up for about 2 months now. It's the 6.6 gallon tank from Petco. The lighting is what came with the tank. I have a small heater and a filter (filter came with the tank). I've also got a bubbler in each of the divided sections.

I'm hoping to identify some of the plants I have. I know I have Java fern, Java Moss, Moss balls and Duck weed. I'm trying to identify the two small plants on the left. I think I need to get a better picture. I know they are two different species.

I'm also trying to identify the big plant in the middle section in the front.

One of the leaves broke off so I moved it to another section to give the betta in there something new until it started dying, but it hasn't started dying it. It actually produced a single root. So what do I do now? It has been floating for about a week.

My other question is about the java fern. It looks like I might have a baby plant growing that's attached itself to one of the leaves of my java fern. Should I leave it or what?

Please excuse the betta head. He's such an attention hog :)

I was wondering if I should add more plants? I would like to reach the point where I don't need to do many water changes. It's a pain in the butt to have to vacuum the gravel, since I have to pull EVERYTHING out.

Hopefully these pictures are clear enough that I can get some answers. If not, I can take new ones.

I feel like I should mention that I originally had a 5 gallon divided tank, but the light died so I upgraded. My plants are doing SO much better now.
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Bannana plant lily is in there nice tank be careful sometimes fish will get in there.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #3 
kfryman

The two on the left look like dwarf sag, it will spread slowly, it pokes runners up through the substrate, and the other is a banana lily. Dwarf sag does fine in all light, however usually the banana lily likes more light.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #4 
Tigress

The dwarf sags aren't doing good. They keep dropping leaves. I had a whole bunch. Now I'm down to 2.

What do I need to do to get them healthy?
Old 09-01-2012, 07:38 PM   #5 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigress View Post
The dwarf sags aren't doing good. They keep dropping leaves. I had a whole bunch. Now I'm down to 2.

What do I need to do to get them healthy?
Fertilizer Light CO2
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #6 
Mo

You dnt need all of that to keep them healthy.. Sheesh that's a lot. Overkill. Fertilizers will do you fine
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #7 
Tigress

But where do I start? I've never used Fertilizer or CO2 in a tank. Do I need to upgrade the bulb?
Old 09-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #8 
Tigress

What fertilizer? I've actually been reading about them since you were able to tell me what they are. I think what happened is I kept moving them when I did water changes. I'd like to get to the point where I don't need to vacuum the gravel so I don't need to pull out all the plants. Do I need to add more plants to balance out the betta fish and snail waste?
Old 09-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #9 
Mo

I would set up an NPT... Soil based bottom with a sand cap and a bunch of stem plants.. PM OFL
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #10 
Tigress

I didn't use gravel in my last tank before I upgraded to the 6.6. It was a pain in the butt. I hated it. That's why I have gravel now.