Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #21 
lelei

Did you add the water conditioner, and do you have a thermometer to check if the temp changed?? Our sapphire looked like that for a while, which was when I thought he was not going to make it, he sat like that for hours at a time, but I did the water change, and gave him food, and let him be at this point you may have to just let him be, and hope for the best, since where you don't know what is wrong, but only do half the water change, and when was the last time he ate, how much?
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #22 
lelei

His swimming is fine, but if that happened after the last water change, it's the acclimination or water conditioner..something happened if that is how he looked after the water change..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:43 PM   #23 
chicagojo

This started before the water change, so 2-3 days after what had been the most recent water change, so I don't think that is the cause. I took a water sample to my LPS last night and they said all the parameters looked ok. His tank temp has been steady at 78 this whole time.

The LPS guy thought it was stress and suggested putting a towel over the tank to darken it, not feeding him for a couple of days, and trying not to disturb him. He also suggested adding 1/2 tsp of aq salt, which I have not done yet bc I wanted to get opinions here first. As of this morning he was still alive and in pretty much the same condition. I just don't know what happened since this did not start in the context of a water change...
chicagojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #24 
LebronTheBetta

What do you mean "OK"? You need the EXACT parameters. He might see 1ppm as an OK parameter. Please ask him what the exact parameters are. Don't add any salt yet. Are you able to put in IAL or washed dried Oak Leaves? That will help with his stress, the towel over the tank is also a good idea.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #25 
chicagojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
What do you mean "OK"? You need the EXACT parameters.
Well, he did all the tests putting the water into 5 or 6 different test tubes and adding various liquid drops, let it sit for a while and then showed me a bunch of color strips for comparison on each parameter and everything was the color of the very lowest level. The ammonia looked to me like it was creeping toward the second level (I think that was either .025 or .25 ppm?) so I asked about that and whether I should do a water change to bring that down and he said because the fish was stressed already he would recommend waiting to do the next water change until it was actually due (which would be tomorrow). Also, when I said that tomorrow would be 100% water change he recommended doing only 50% or even just 1/3 in order to disturb him less. Does that sound right?

I don't have any washed dried oak leaves. I am not familiar with IAL (I don't have a lot of experience with fish and so far really only know about products I've had to use in situations that have come up with my other fish). I do have stress coat - is that something similar?

I did have another Betta about a year ago who got like this after he jumped out of the tank onto the counter (I didn't realize they could jump so high and left the lid off) and after a few days in the dark he recovered, so I am hopeful that little Rock N Roll III will be ok.

Do you agree it is a good idea not to feed him for a couple of days? The pet shop guy said it would prevent him from using extra energy to digest the food.

Also, his tank is in the kitchen right now, which is not the quietest room. Unfortunately 6 people live in this house so there is not really such thing as a quiet room, but I am wondering if I should try to move him somewhere a little quieter, or if the stress of moving will outweigh any benefit.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #26 
LebronTheBetta

Yes, just do 80% changes or 90%. The goal for now it to not give more stress.
IAL are Indian Almond Leaves. The leaves need to naturally fall off, and naturally dry. Stress Coat should help, don't use too much. It may make it harder for him to breath. It doesn't really take effort to digest their food so giving him more food will actually give him more energy. Try live or frozen foods. Just try to keep the noise level down as low as you can.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #27 
chicagojo

Ok, I don't have any IAL then. I will try adding a few drops of stress coat. Somewhere I have frozen daphnia - would that be a good food to try?

I left a little area not covered by the towel so I can peek in and check on him. He seems to be pretty much the same, but definitely still swimming around at times. I hope he gets better!
Old 08-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #28 
LebronTheBetta

Yes, frozen daphnia should be given a few times. I hope he gets better as well.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #29 
chicagojo

Ok, thanks so much for all your help!!!
Old 08-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #30 
LebronTheBetta

Your welcome, I hope he gets better.