Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #1 
brookm

Smile Betta Fish Newbie

I have been reading up for about a week before I got anything and think I get the basics of everything now but I want to make sure that everything I am doing at tis point is right. (I am a super worry wart)
I started cycling my tank 3 days ago (which I really hope is okay I added him on day 2) I have a 5g tank with 1 fake plant and a glass mushroom house I got my heater etc all set up as well. So far everything seems to be going well other than I am noticing even with the 50% water changes it seems a bit cloudy is that normal? The one thing I did not get was a test kit should i pick one up or will I be okay without? He seems fairly happy and all but seems to have a hard time swimming across the tank where the filter "waterfalls" into the tank should I turn the filter way down or just let it go? Also since yesterday he has changed colors when i got him his face was opaque and now is turning slightly red is that good or bad? any advice is welcome
thanks!
brookm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #2 
brookm

Also what is the best food for bettas?
Old 08-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #3 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hi and welcome to the forum ! Sounds like your doing good and yes if you are going to cycle the tank you really should get a kit, the one most of us use is API Freshwater Master Test Kit. I also have a 5 gallon that my Betta is in that is cycling and hoping its almost done its getting there slowly but steady. I dont know why your water would be cloudy after a water change, do you have gravel in your tank and did you rinse it very well if use it ? What water conditioner are you using and be sure to use it for all water changes.

I think you should turn down your filter some and see how he does, my filter is not adjustable but Perseus does very well with it and I keep his floating log under the water flow and that helps baffle it. The change in color your seeing is good and also normal that means he is getting adjusted to his new home and I am sure he loves having all that room to play in !

I feed the New Life Spectrum Betta Pellets and they one of the best foods on the market right now. They are easy to digest which is important since Bettas seem to get bloated easy caused mostly from over feeding so no matter what food you fed yours be sure and dont feed to much. Perseus gets three pellets in the morning and three in the late3 evening. I had to order mine on line from Amazon as my local pet shop didnt have any NLS. I am sure others will also tell you what they think is the best food and what they feed theirs.

Good luck and keep us updated on how your little guy is doing he sounds very pretty !
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #4 
brookm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum ! Sounds like your doing good and yes if you are going to cycle the tank you really should get a kit, the one most of us use is API Freshwater Master Test Kit. I also have a 5 gallon that my Betta is in that is cycling and hoping its almost done its getting there slowly but steady. I dont know why your water would be cloudy after a water change, do you have gravel in your tank and did you rinse it very well if use it ? What water conditioner are you using and be sure to use it for all water changes.

I think you should turn down your filter some and see how he does, my filter is not adjustable but Perseus does very well with it and I keep his floating log under the water flow and that helps baffle it. The change in color your seeing is good and also normal that means he is getting adjusted to his new home and I am sure he loves having all that room to play in !

I feed the New Life Spectrum Betta Pellets and they one of the best foods on the market right now. They are easy to digest which is important since Bettas seem to get bloated easy caused mostly from over feeding so no matter what food you fed yours be sure and dont feed to much. Perseus gets three pellets in the morning and three in the late3 evening. I had to order mine on line from Amazon as my local pet shop didnt have any NLS. I am sure others will also tell you what they think is the best food and what they feed theirs.

Good luck and keep us updated on how your little guy is doing he sounds very pretty !

Thanks so much for the reassurance! I am not using gravel I am using river rocks and yes i did cleaned them thoroughly before I put them in the tank is there anything else I should be doing to them? Alrighty I will have to order some because my local pet store does not carry much for bettas and I will order a kit as well. I had NO idea how much the start up for a fish tank was! boy was i shocked $180 later O.O oh well its worth it :)

I am using conditioner its the brand that came with the tank nutrafin aqua plus
Old 08-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #5 
Bettanewbie60

Congrats on such a great start and welcome! LOL, I know what you mean about the "sticker shock" of getting them started. I use Omega One Betta Buffet from Petsmart..it is considered the 2nd best brand, but my bettas are all thriving on it. So glad you joined us, and can't wait to see pics of your new fish!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:22 PM   #6 
brookm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
Congrats on such a great start and welcome! LOL, I know what you mean about the "sticker shock" of getting them started. I use Omega One Betta Buffet from Petsmart..it is considered the 2nd best brand, but my bettas are all thriving on it. So glad you joined us, and can't wait to see pics of your new fish!
I can't wait to get pictures all I have right now is my phone and its not letting me take photos now :(
Old 08-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #7 
brookm

I think you are right about the gravel it was bothering me so i decided to start over with no gravel its not cloudy anymore
Old 08-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #8 
DiiQue

Congrats and welcome to the club! Now that you have ONE betta, you can start on number two, then three, then four... LOL. The "Betta bug" bites deep. Again, welcome!
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #9 
brookm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiiQue View Post
Congrats and welcome to the club! Now that you have ONE betta, you can start on number two, then three, then four... LOL. The "Betta bug" bites deep. Again, welcome!
I would say it bit the moment i put him in his tank and thought oh my i need some more