Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2012, 10:26 PM   #1 
sketchbook

Unhappy New Betta/Owner-Very Concerned!

I'm a college student without a roommate and decided to get a fish for company. My first fish didn't make it to 2 weeks I believe because of fin rot. I decided to try again and got a new fish and upgraded supplies. My current set up is as follows:

-2.5 gallons
-overhead light
-filter
-heater
-temp: 80F
-treat water with BettaSafe conditioner
-feed 4-5 pellets/day
-I don't have a water test kit and may not for a while because of lack of transportation

I'm very nervous for this fsh because I just noticed today that Gamma's fins have begun to turn clear at the tips. This is what happened to my first fish. Also, Gamma has been resting at the bottom of the tank more often as well as hiding. Overall, he also looks less healthy than he did a few days ago.

I did a 50% water change today and re-conditioned the water. This was the first water change since I put Gamma in this last Sunday (9/16). I'm planning on doing 2 50% water changes per week starting now (is this sufficient?).

I've attached some pics. I really just want to have a healthy and happy fish so any help is very much appreciated.
Attached Images

sketchbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:33 PM   #2 
Fredsterbit

In the second pic he looks a bit.. bloated? I know you said you don't have a test kit, but knowing the water parameters is very important to find out what's wrong with the fish. I would very much suggest testing your tap water for issues and try to change the water 3-4 times a week for now. Try and get him some frozen bloodworms for protein, and make him comfortable. Have him in low light.
Fredsterbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:36 PM   #3 
sketchbook

He also seems to be having trouble swimming. He swims against the front of the aquarium and twitches back and forth. I think he's trying to get to the top for air, but I'm not sure.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #4 
Fredsterbit

Lower the water level to make it easier for your fish. Look carefully at the the fish's scales, behavior, and just observe him to see what it does.
Fredsterbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:23 AM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

Hi!
On the water changes, the appropriate water change schedule for a 2.5g is atleast 1-100% weekly change ^_^
and it has to be 100% :O
only doing 50% changes will allow toxins to build up, and never completely eliminate it. During your water changes, make sure that the water coming in is the same temperature as the water going out.
If you have aquarium, kosher or organic seasalt, you can pre dissolve 1tsp for every gallon of water you have in the tank, in water and mix that with the tank water.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #6 
KevinPham123

Yep, 100 percent WC per week is what I do with my 2.5 gallons. Ammonia levels build up to .5 in just a couple days I find. That's bad.
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:56 AM   #7 
sketchbook

Ok thanks for the water change help. What should I do now in terms of bringing him back to health? I'm also concerned about how to do a water change without totally stressing him out.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #8 
laynisample

Clear fins is most likely fin regrowth. That is a good sign.
laynisample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #9 
sketchbook

Any ideas on bringing him back to health and how to do a water change without causing stress? Should I get API Stresscoat?
Old 09-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

might stress him out anyway, it's really up to the indicidual betta's temperament.... but water changes has to be done... no way around it :/
ao is offline   Reply With Quote