Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #1 
Basement Bettas

For those that rescue..

Until I spent some time here I really never thought of the rescue side of bettas. I blog and add content to a web site and much of what I write about is geared to people that show or want to. But there are many that hit both those sites that have pets and want nothing more. So, I'd like to have a few articles from this end of the hobby. Since it is not my thing, I'm hoping some of you passionate about Bettas on this side could help me out.
What I am lookinf for is articles...

First one on betta care as a pet. I need the article to debunk the betta in a jar with a plant. It should cover proper housing, temp and food requirements. Also the need to change water to keep the fish healthy. Discuss decholor and any thing else you may think is important in having a Betta as a pet. Give advice on choosing, acclimating to new home and care going forward. What to watch out for as signs of disease. Don't need disease discussion.. that is a WHOLE 'nother article.. lol. Just when to know your fish is not feeling well.

Second one is from someone that has successfully rescued several Bettas. I want to know why you do it. Also tips on how to give the best chance of a new life to a fish. Ya'll know I'm not into buying the sickest fish.. so tips on identifying a healthy project and adjusting it to it's new life would be what I need. What to look for as signs fish not doing well. Before and after pics would be great! And tell me how it makes you feel as they flourish under your care.

I will give credit to the authors where ever I use them [blog or web site]. Anybody interested can reach me through my facebook page or directly at basementbettas at msn dot com. If you all want a link back to this forum, can do that as well.

Thanks in advance!!
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:54 AM   #2 
homegrown terror

i don't have anything meaningful to contribute here, just wanted to say:

FOR THOSE ABOUT TO RESCUE, WE SALUTE YOU!
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #3 
misty1477

BB .... I am soooo happy that you want to do this

Yes...I am one of the posters from last week that did not agree with your posts on a couple of the 'rescue' threads

BUT ... I see that now you see where most of us here are coming from.

There are some awesome rescue stories here and I hope those betta-lovers will share their experience with you.

Good Luck
misty1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #4 
Mo

I have alot of time today... I might aswell and write one...
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:08 AM   #5 
Basement Bettas

I used to get pet shop bettas too cause I felt bad for them. Used to breed them on my back patio in wash tubs. Traded offspring for more fish food.. lol. The colors back then.. the deep reds, brilliant turqs. And I have taken nice fish home I refused to let sit in a cold cup at walmart. It just isn't me now. got too many water changes as it is.

Even my class winners and breeders find new homes when I am done with them so the up and coming have room in my barracks. I love the fish.. but have recently seen a side of these fish and the hobby with disease that makes me just not want to take a chance. And since people come to my site looking for answers I need to have the other side of the coin as well. I'm all for rescue.. just go for the healthiest ones you can and be prepared to treat or put down. Wish ya'll live closer so you could rescue mine sometimes.. lol. I'd love some of those rescue stories and I am sure many of my readers would love them too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty1477 View Post
BB .... I am soooo happy that you want to do this

Yes...I am one of the posters from last week that did not agree with your posts on a couple of the 'rescue' threads

BUT ... I see that now you see where most of us here are coming from.

There are some awesome rescue stories here and I hope those betta-lovers will share their experience with you.

Good Luck
Old 08-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #6 
a123andpoof

In the contest forum there is a rescue story contest complete with pics. Maybe that would be helpful?
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:19 PM   #7 
LittleWatty

Well, I'm not the greatest example of a betta "rescuer" but I can share my stories. I have only once tried to rescue an ill looking fish, and the poor thing died on me within a few days. Only thing that gave me solace was that I gave him a better place to die than a cold cup.

The absolute best tip I can give anyone who wants to get a betta from a pet shop (not counting Walmart) is to find out when they get their shipments in. The fish will be at its absolute healthiest when its in that baggie. Not saying it'll be perfectly healthy, but you'll have a better chance with a new fish than one that has been sitting in a cup for days, or weeks. My Petco usually gets bettas in on Wednesday or Friday, with all the other fish in on Thursday. My Petsmart gets all their aquatics in on Wednesday. Learn the schedule. It'll become your best friend.

Keep an eye out for activity. I was watching this one silver plakat in his cup for a few days. Very lively, constantly darting around his cup. His colors were pretty washed out, but after watching him for as long as I did, I eventually picked him up.
Before

After

I usually use flaring as a sign of good health (in general). If you can get a store betta to flare at another one, there's a good chance the fish is fairly healthy. Its not a guideline, though. The aforementioned fish hardly ever flares at all, and never did while he was in his cup. On the same note, I had a fish die within a few days that flared at just about everything when I first got him. It really depends sometimes.

I don't know if I'll ever get into rescuing ill or poorly taken care of fish. I know for sure that right now I just don't have the space for them. I try to find a fish that has the most personality, and looks healthy, so that I don't have to keep going through the heartbreak of another dead fish. Sometimes, they just die, and there's not much you can do about it.

Also, one of the best rescue threads I've seen is of CandiceMM's Heartbreaker (here)

Last edited by LittleWatty; 08-20-2012 at 10:22 PM.
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:29 AM   #8 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Second one is from someone that has successfully rescued several Bettas. I want to know why you do it. Also tips on how to give the best chance of a new life to a fish. Ya'll know I'm not into buying the sickest fish.. so tips on identifying a healthy project and adjusting it to it's new life would be what I need. What to look for as signs fish not doing well. Before and after pics would be great! And tell me how it makes you feel as they flourish under your care.
I can help with this one. WHY do I do it? Basically because I do not like to see them suffer. I now alot of people do not approve, saying the best way to "save" them is to call up walmart or petco and b**** about the horrible conditions but...or try and get the fish for free. I have heard stories on here of petco or petsmart saing NO we can't sell sick fish, so I prefer to keep my mouth shut and buy the fish in question. Plus I love it when they transform from a tailess, pale thing into a beautiful fishie
"Being a hero to someone, even if it is a fish, is a feeling like no other. Though it can be frustrating, it can be the most rewarding thing to give someone a second chance at a happy life". ~From Finally Home~”

Quote:
Ya'll know I'm not into buying the sickest fish.. so tips on identifying a healthy project and adjusting it to it's new life would be what I need.
I normally do not get the "sickest fish", although I did one time - at my boyfriend's urging. He is doing great now
Normally, I look for ones that are still alert - like if they swim around when you pick up the cup. I avoid ones with fuzz - don't wanna mess with columnaris and I look for pineconning as well. The majority of the time, their issues are caused by poor water quality and not an actual illness - clean, warm water, and sometimes aquarium salt is normally all I use. If the fins are bad, I add in some Krodon's fish protector or extra stress coat. I always test the ammonia in their cups so I know what i'm dealing with...if its bad, it's best to very slowly change the water - going from an ammonia of 8.0 to 0 quickly is just as bad as going from 60F water to 82F. I use a syringe to take out old and add in fresh every 20 mins or so and do so over several hours. Then I add the fish to the new tank.

For sluggles - who was like a lump of blue on the bottom of a cup 9fins floating everywhere, ammonia burns, rapid gill movement) I had floated him in a cup for a few days inside of a bigger, heated tank. When he had enough energy to flare at his tank mate, I moved him into his own home. However, I had to keep the water level pretty low as he had some kind of issue with his spine? I don't really know WHAT his issue was but about a week after i got him I was moving from alaska to NY in winter and took him as well. By the time I got to NY, he was perfectly fine (sadly, only 1 other fish survived the trip ).

Before

a few days later

now

LUCKY - my 1st rescue - didn't know the imortance of heaters back then
The night I took him home

Looking better

Few months later:

Sushi

Sadly, Lucky and Sushi have left for the rainbow bridge

OOh and Lucky Stars (the one in my avatar). FOund him at Petco and he was pale with almost no fins. tested the ammonia and it instantly turned the water dark BLUE - not green but blue which isn't even on the API chart! He fins are growing back nicely and he is doing awsome! he was just laying on the bottom of his cup. I actually went to petco that day to rescue a different one I saw that was there for several weeks but..I wasn't sure he would of made the journey home. This guy was next to him and a bit more "alive"

Lucky has his own music video---->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6DJi...&feature=g-upl

and another betta music video with music from the lorax--->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InF8e...feature=colike

Last edited by Tikibirds; 08-21-2012 at 12:35 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:37 AM   #9 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Tikibirds is like the best rescuer on the site! (sorry bumping in).
She's taken fish out of like, the worst situations I've ever seen and they've healed!
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:40 AM   #10 
Basement Bettas

WOW!! Ya'll have done amazing things with these fish. That copper PK is quite the looker LittleWatty adn Tikibirds I can't believe those are the same fish. Thanks for the stories. Now i just need to get some time and put it together on the blog. Will post the link when we get it done. Many thanks guys!