Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #1 
Friendlyfishies

Aquarium plants that remain small when full grown?

Hello!
Im looking to put some live plants in my bettas new 6.6 gal bookshelf tank but its only 9" tall. I need plants that will remain small. This is what I have to chose from at the local petco unless someone else can recommend another site that sells nice water plants :) Thank you!

http://www.petco.com/N_4294956700/Fr...veFishHPPlants
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #2 
BettaQi

Anubias nana petite

There is a micro Anubias too now.
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:53 PM   #3 
teeneythebetta

Java ferns stay fairly small (really depends on what you would consider small) They sell them at pet smart, and probably almost any LFS.

They are one of the, if not THE, easiest live plants to care for. They work in practically any set up. The have what is called a rhizome which cannot be buried in the substrate, it must either be let above substrate or tied to decor :) http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/my...sorum_pteropus
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:00 AM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Anubias comes in a few sizes: Really small , small, regular (Nana) and long-leaf. Used tied down and floating as topcover and hammocks. Low light. I really like these.

Anacharis will grow to the water surface and then bend over for topcover. Wisteria is great topcover and ammonia sponge, and not too large.

Hornwort (I hear) is great for water quality and can be pruned to keep it short.

Mossballs and Java moss, if you like that sort of thing.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:14 AM   #5 
Relic

Cryptocoryne wendtii. These Crypts stay fairly small and are easy enough to care for. A lot of plants can be "Tamed"..if they get to big, simply trim them back/down.
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:06 AM   #6 
Sundancex

Dwarf Lily? Mine is thriving so far (I think, honestly it is hard to tell as I know nothing about plants), and I believe a lily will grow until the pads reach the surface of the tank. It is a fantastic plant for a betta as they love to rest on the pads that haven't reached the surface yet. Red root floaters are also beautiful and pretty easy to care for, although I hear they hate surface agitation.

My Wendtii isn't doing that great, but it is a crypt so is probably sulking due to the environment change and with any luck will regrow soon.

Hmm, this gives me an idea to do a whole tank planted with dwarf lilies, oh how fish/aquatic plant keeping is addicting.

Cabomba may also suit your needs as it can just be pruned when it gets too tall, mine is doing well right now.
Sundancex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

I have many mini plants.
Anubias
Java fern ( certain species)
giant baby tears
dwarf hair grass
micro swords
glossostigma
... etcetc