Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #1 
misty1477

Time For A Heater ... So Confused ... Best One ???

Summer is winding down and Sparkle is going to need a heater very soon. I have read so many different reviews about what is the best type/brand/etc. I AM GOING NUTS

Sparkle is in a 5 gallon glass tank with silk plants, Marina Floating Thermometer, FlowerBall, and glass Luster Gems as substrate. I had to remove his HOB filter ... all of a sudden he flares like crazy at anything black/dark outside of his tank....

His tank is in the den on my desk ... near a window. The room during the winter is about 65 to 70 degrees. I do not turn on the heat in the room because my desk is in front of the electric heating item. Room keeps at the temps from heat on in other rooms nearby.

What is the best/most reliable filter for his tank?
Would one that is put horizontally on top (or is under better) of the 'glass' substrate cause any issues?

Please help me out ... it is already dropping down into the upper 50's and low 60's outside at night. I have been wrapping a towel around his tank for the night but I am not sure if that is good enough ... but for now it is all I can do until I buy the heater.

Thanks A Betta-Bunch !!!
misty1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #2 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I just brought a new heater cause my other one just wasnt working to keep his 5 gallon tank at the right temp. I ordered mine on line from amazon, its a Elite 50 watt submersible adjustable heater. Just been using it since yesterday but so far its doing great and right now its set to 76 but it can go higher just by turning the knob and it shows what temp you have it set to. The light comes on when its heating the tank and goes off when the set temp is reached. It was on sale for 18.00

I am sure your local pet shop will have nice heaters to and I bet they might have this one or any other Elite made by Hagen I was told were really good heaters.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #3 
teeneythebetta

I have via aqua heaters, have had them for months and they work great.
A 50 watt would work got your tank.
It is adjustable & has a thermostat so it will maintain a stable temp. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...w_bottom_links

Below if you click on the highlighted "13 new" you can select the one that is $9 + $4 shipping. $15! :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:25 PM   #4 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Thats a good one too Teeney I was torn on which one to get so I closed my eyes and picked one...lolololol Great price also !
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, heater recommendation, heaters