Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #1 
ccam7591

Smile Soon to be New Betta Owner: Please Help!!

Hello! So, I've been researching for awhile now about getting a betta, which is how I stumbled upon this site. After lots of research, I believe I'm closing in on getting one ! I feel decently prepared, but the one thing I'm not too sure about is how exactly you change the water.

I've tried looking around, but even in books i can't seem to find good step-by-step insructions on changing water. I'm not sure if I'm looking in the wrong place, or what!

It would be AWESOME if you could (A) Send me a link with a good step-by-step set of instructions, or (B) were to post them here.

If you are going to do either of these things, please include how often to change the water (I'm getting a 5 gallon tank), what I will need (and if you can, how much it will cost), and of course how to do so. Again, I would love it if you could!

I thank anyone who will take the time to do this, because I'm probably just being an idiot and not looking in the right places, but, then again, I want my new pet to be as happy as possible! So thanks, and please post!
ccam7591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:14 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Hello and welcome to the wonderful world of Betta keeping. ;) (Soon)
Are you going to have a filter? If you will, you don't need to do 100% changes. If your tank is unfiltered, you should do 2 50% changes the 1st and 3rd week, and then 1 100% change in the 2nd and 4th week. Sorry if it's confusing. :D
If it's filtered, just do 2 50%'s per week as the tank will go under a cycle.

Remember the water conditioner and you'll need a gravel siphon to clean the gravel while it's sucking the water. Remember to bring pics of your Bettas! :)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #3 
ccam7591

Thanks!

Thanks a lot!
Old 08-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Oh, yeah. I forgot to tell you HOW to do it... Whoops.. :D
With a siphon, you just squeeze the ball thing. Lol. Squeeze multiple times and it should start to siphon the water. If you won't get it, just scoop out the water and put in new, CONDITIONED, same temperature, tap water. Sorry I forgot. ^^"
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #5 
ccam7591

Awesome! :)