Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #1 
a123andpoof

New tank..now how to stock..

So I got this tank http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752369 for $5 at a garage sale with filter, rocks, plant, gravel vac and a few other things. Now I just need to find a place to put it, and how to stock it. I am for sure doing a single betta, and some live plants probably will be a NPT eventually. Obviously I am itching to stock it, but the hard part is look for a new boy? Or put one of my existing fish in there. Any thoughts? For my fish the candiates are:

Yuki the baby. I don't know gender yet. If female she will go into the future divided female tank. If male into my male tank.

Tappy the crowntail

Or tamaki who is in a 1.5 at the moment.

Those are the two I would consider. Now if I buy another fish I really want either a double tail, a delta or a halfmoon.

Now if I were to get a halfmoon he would go into the 1.5 and tamaki would be kicked out and moved somewheres bigger. But a double tail could just go in the 5g.

I dont know what to do. Suggestions?
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:50 AM   #2 
homegrown terror

move tamaki into the 5gal, 1.5 is really way too small. do not put a halfmoon into the 1.5 either. due to their excessive finnage they are very prone to tail biting when stressed, and being in such a small environment would definitely stress him out. really the only betta that would be all right in it is a baby, and that would only be as a "growing up" tank.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:55 AM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

Actually, HMs can be in a 1.5 gallon their whole life. It can work, you can put in live plants and the space is fine for them. Due to their excess finnage, they won't have much trouble from the small space and a smaller risk of biting.
A baby is better in the bigger tank IMO. Since they have smaller fins, they'll need some more room to swim and grow. I say the baby goes in. It's your choice, though. As long as you do the needed water changes, it should be fine.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:55 AM   #4 
vilmarisv

Why don't you get your tank going first and give yourself time to decide who you want to use? That's what I'm going to do with my new tank.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #5 
a123andpoof

Thank you lebron and that is my thoughts exactly. And the 1.5 actually has live plants in it already. I have yuki in a 1g at the moment since thats the only tank I could get up into the 80's so I wanted to be sure she was warm. So if I did put him/her in there it wouldnt be until she is a bit older.
I do understand where you are coming from vilmari but the draw is so strong lol but I think I could restrain until next month..maybe. I have alot I need at the end of the month non betta related so live plants probably wont be bought, until either september or october. it will just drive me nuts and I will end up with a walmart vt lol
Old 08-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #6 
a123andpoof

Oh and for those of you worried about tamaki, once my female tank is done, he will be moved into the male tank and his space will be upped to about 2.5g.