Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #1 
farmgirl598

Tank for adult Halfmoon Betta

I've looked all over the internet, and cannot find the answer to my question. I am considering getting a halfmoon Betta, and I am wondering if they need any special tank requirements. 5 gallon? 10 gallon? is there any such thing as giving them TOO much space? I know their fins are fragile, and they are not the best swimmers. He will be alone in the tank, unless he gets a snail or something later on. I do 30-50 percent water changes weekly, and he will have a sponge filter and heater, with a mix of natural and silk plants and a hidey hole or two. I already have two veiltail bettas...Angus and Dazzle...they are each in their own 5 gallon with heater, sponge filter, live anacharis, and a few silk plants, as well as a betta log. If anyone has any advice about halfmoons (or any other betta type with specific needs) that would be great. I also bought some 2.5 gallon acrylic drum fish bowls, to give to my sister. She has her bettas in about a gallon of water each, and I am trying to buy her things so the bettas can have an upgrade. I know the 2.5 gallon drum bowls are not "the ideal standard"....but I assume it will be better than their one gallon containers. Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.
farmgirl598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #2 
a123andpoof

I currently do not own a halfmoon. Okay thats a lie mine are all plakat varieties. For the type you are getting, horizontal space is best. and really it all depends on the fish. Some do well in large spaces, other only in really small. I have heard a number of people on here say they had to put theirs in a 1g because it was the only way he would stop chewing his tail. But then some do better in large spaces. So really it all depends on the temperment of your fish. Also those drum bowls will be fine! Better then the 1 gallons. Of course I am one of the few people who will tell you 1 gallon is okay as long as water condions are kept up.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:16 AM   #3 
Laki

I agree 1g is fine. I would maybe try him in a 2g kritter keeper first. KK's are horizontal and not too tall. You're correct you'll want some plants he can rest on near the top because while HM's are impressive, I don't know many who don't bite. I want a HMPK! ^-^
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #4 
a123andpoof

I love my hmpk. And amazingly one is from walmart though my female blurp got to her side of the tank and totally shredded her fins! I really want a halfmoon, so if you get one be sure to show pictures!
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #5 
Shadyr

A halfmoon plakat is a fast swimmer and would probably be fine solo in a 5G. A longfinned halfmoon would probably not benefit as much. I have one such, and he lives in a Crescent 3 tank, unfiltered. It seems perfect for him! True story, I took him out for a while to medicate the tank for ickies, and he protested his medium KK temp tank by taking off the top half of his tail. Since putting him back, no more chompy on the tail.

He wiggleswims around and pauses to rest on his plants and decorations often. I can see that he would struggle in a taller tank or one with a current.

Can you find the fish?

Name:  chicoryhiding1280.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  73.7 KB
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #6 
Freyja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyr View Post
Can you find the fish?

Attachment 62668
Top left behind the sword.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #7 
Shadyr

Hehe yes - it's his favorite spot to hang out, and second is the fern up front.

I think the 3 is great for a long finned male. Enough room to play around with decor, but not so big that it's a strain for the fish to reach the top.

Good luck with fish and his home!
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:16 PM   #8 
farmgirl598

I already own a 3 acrylic gallon hex.....but it is tall rather than long. I'm also paranoid about using it. Don't know why, but any fish I've put in it has not lived long. Can't figure out why. It was used when I got it. Could it be contaminated somehow? I have a 2.5 ballon drum bowl, and a 2.5 gallon tank. Which of these 3 tanks would be my best choice for a halfmoon? I always do my best to give my pets the best life that I can.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #9 
farmgirl598

Shadyr : Is that a kritter keeper you have Chicory in? I am a bit concerned about the plastic bowls I have. Will they withstand use of a heater? They are not acrylic, but plastic......ugh
Old 08-15-2012, 11:27 PM   #10 
Laki

They can totally take heaters! Mine does.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote