Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #1 
Spiderling00

Betta looks like he is constantly flaring

Hey guys I will give you as much information on this betta as I can, but he is at my boyfriend's work and I haven't seen him myself. My boyfriend told me today that the fish at his work looks like he is flaring all the time. The poor thing is in one of those awful half bubble hang on the wall tanks and I think its roughly a gallon. The water is freezing because he is under the AC vent. I visit my boyfriend at work every monday night and we clean the fish's water. I know it needs to get done more often, but thats all we can do for now. He is severely overweight, but his coworkers will not listen to reason. We thought about just taking the poor guy home, but we know they will just get another fish so we try to make this guy's life a little better. The fish has been there as long as he's worked there so the little(fat) guy is at least two. Since we started taking care of him hes turned a brighter red and is a little more active.

So I was just wondering what to bring to help this guy out when I stop by tomorrow. I know you don't have much information to go by here, but any help would be appreciated. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow also.
Spiderling00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderling00 View Post
Hey guys I will give you as much information on this betta as I can, but he is at my boyfriend's work and I haven't seen him myself. My boyfriend told me today that the fish at his work looks like he is flaring all the time. The poor thing is in one of those awful half bubble hang on the wall tanks and I think its roughly a gallon. The water is freezing because he is under the AC vent. I visit my boyfriend at work every monday night and we clean the fish's water. I know it needs to get done more often, but thats all we can do for now. He is severely overweight, but his coworkers will not listen to reason. We thought about just taking the poor guy home, but we know they will just get another fish so we try to make this guy's life a little better. The fish has been there as long as he's worked there so the little(fat) guy is at least two. Since we started taking care of him hes turned a brighter red and is a little more active.

So I was just wondering what to bring to help this guy out when I stop by tomorrow. I know you don't have much information to go by here, but any help would be appreciated. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow also.
That's terrible, drives me crazy when people don't want to listen. Glad you're doing what you can. I wish I had some good advice but if the owner isn't willing to change anything there isn't much you can do short of fish napping. As far as being fat, could he be bloated? Maybe try feeding him a pea to see if that may help his fat belly.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:05 PM   #3 
MSG

Don't think there's much you can do. Those bubble wall sconce type tanks are highly reflective, I'm going to assume they mounted some sort of picture light on top of the tank as well.

I really don't think you can do anything about it without pissing off the owners.

They're clearly are just using the bettas for decoration & don't really care if it stresses them as long as the customers don't complain it's not important.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Feeding him A PEA won't work. Only a little bit might. Bettas are insectivores, not vegans. AGAIN, I don't mean to be a hater. Try frozen daphnia it's a better laxative. Might be the beginnings of an internal breakdown, though. :[
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:37 AM   #5 
kyasarin5

I would at least see if they could move him out from under the a/c. Poor guy. I hate people who treat animals like that. They just treat them like objects with no soul. :( Do you think if you got him a cute little tank like this they would use it?

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ms+%26amp%3B+B

Bring him a floating thermometer to monitor his temperature. Maybe if they actually see that he is cold they might think about it more.

Does the tank he is in look like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Wall-Mount-Fis.../dp/B0033SHT00

Last edited by kyasarin5; 08-13-2012 at 12:43 AM.
kyasarin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:56 AM   #6 
Jully

Ask them, if you were to take that fish home would they buy a new one? If they say no, take him home which he deserves the poor guy has been hanging on the wall for his life, I am glad you care about him.

The best thing you can do is try to get him out of that place, if you cannot try to get the tank moved to a warmer place and a place with a plug, buy him a mini heater maybe under 10 watts? Maybe lower, hopefully it helps him. Poor little guy, if he is bloated then try not to feed him as much, skip a day of feeding then feed him the next day, see if that helps. Best of luck, poor little guy.
Jully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:58 AM   #7 
Jully

Find him a heater like something like this http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=12315584 it's for 5 Ls and up ~ 1.5 gallon, if it's a 1 gallon I am sure this will be fine, a thermometer will help. If there is a plug near the A/C try to get it plugged in, so if the 'tank' cough *bowl*... Gets overheated the A/C will help it, also buy a thermometer to make sure he is happy, if they get another betta at least the other one will have better conditions.
Jully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:24 AM   #8 
Spiderling00

Thanks for the advice everyone. Sean and I cleaned his water again and he doesn't look like he's flaring too much, but his gills do look a little swollen, more so on one side then the other. Sean has mentioned that he's going to talk to his boss again about getting a better tank with heater for the poor little guy. Anyway, here is a picture of where he lives. I bought the plant for him to enhance his home a little.

And here is a close up. Also, I'm not sure he is actually a he?

Sean also told me today that occasionally someone else in the office cleans the water, but doesn't de-chlorinate the water!!! I don't know how this fish is still alive.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:46 AM   #9 
gn3ranger

whoa That looks like a fin rot, Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

Last edited by gn3ranger; 08-14-2012 at 03:51 AM.
gn3ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #10 
Spiderling00

Quote:
Originally Posted by gn3ranger View Post
whoa That looks like a fin rot, Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.
Definitely has fin rot too. While there hasn't really been any new fin growth, the fins haven't been deteriorating more since we started taking care of the guy. His gills look scared with ammonia burn too. He's in pretty bad shape, but we are trying to make things a little better. :/