betta fish

Old 09-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #51 
BettaJen

Daaww :D
BettaJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #52 
Kelly0727

September 3, 2012

So while cleaning the fry tank today I got a little annoyed because there was still a slime build up on the sides of the glass making it very hard for me to see.. I took my magnet thingy.. I forgot what it was called.. but I used it to get algae off the glass on my 60 gallon.. I used the opposite side that I normally use to move it and used that side to get the slime off. Boy was there a LOT! But now I can see my little babies again :)

I also tried my best to get photos just for the heck of it.. probably not that good but were getting there!

I did notice one smaller fry had a black belly... not sure what caused it but the fry acts completely normal so I'm wondering if maybe he ate a itty bitty baby mosquito larva? It's the only thing I could think that might cause his belly to be black compared to all my bigger fry with pinkish bellies.

Itty bitty is still in his cup and so far so good! :)
Kelly0727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #53 
marktrc

They look good. Nice and fat. :)
marktrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #54 
Kelly0727

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktrc View Post
They look good. Nice and fat. :)
Thank you, they are my adorable chubby little babies. Itty bitty on the other hand is a work in progress.. but I am sure he will be the same in no time :)

It's really fun watching them now because it looks like they are bouncing on their bellies lol
Old 09-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #55 
Kelly0727

September 4, 2012

Ok so I am mega tired from school and water changes on my betta boys/bubbles. Now I am working on the frys tank as we speak then off to do homework!

So I've spotted monster.... or at least I think I did.. you can only tell it's him when everyone is turned to their side. His fins are a bit bigger than everyone else so that is the only way I am actually able to tell.

Itty bitty is the official name for itty bitty.. The name stuck since he is so tiny compared to all the others. I fear if I do put him back in his growth will be stunted so much that the others will get big enough to eat him! So he is staying in his cup until he gets bigger.. and if he doesn't then.. I'm not sure. :) Guess I will be feeding him micro worms forever!

My mother is thinking the fry with the black tummy is taking after bubbles.. because when she eats a lot her tummy turns black the exact same way! So that will be a bit interesting to figure out now wont it?

Also is it 28 days or 28 weeks when they start breathing air...... I cant remember.. but I remember 28! Guess I will just have to be extra careful...

A total count of the fry including itty bitty is 13! Such a small spawn, but completely grateful since this is my first successful spawn.

Counting down the days as they get older! :)
Old 09-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #56 
tpocicat

28 days before they breathe air is more like it. Your fry look really good. I know it's hard, but keep up the good work.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #57 
Kelly0727

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpocicat View Post
28 days before they breathe air is more like it. Your fry look really good. I know it's hard, but keep up the good work.
Thank you for confirming that and I'll try my best :) Although I think I found a dead fry.. one of the smaller ones :/ but it was hard to tell because it was completely black.

But all the others are doing good! :)
Old 09-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #58 
tpocicat

It's normal to lose some of the fry. That's one of the reasons they have such large spawns.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #59 
Kelly0727

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpocicat View Post
It's normal to lose some of the fry. That's one of the reasons they have such large spawns.
I know, I just hate seeing it happen since I had a small spawn in the first place.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #60 
Kelly0727

Sunday September 9, 2012

So my fry are now 3 weeks old since yesterday! Sadly itty bitty did not make it, I guess there was a reason he was not growing after all. These things happen.. I have 11 healthy fry and the one with the black tummy is now the biggest out of all!

He went from the smallest to the biggest hitting a growth spurt! The fry are making me so proud. I switch up their meals now from a mix of banana worms and micro worms to walter worms and micro worms. I want to try giving them some bbs but I wouldn't have a way to harvest them. Since what I use to use is now broken and no store near me wants to sell a net small enough..

I'm basically doing water changes every other day now since the water change is a big one, but I still clean the tank as much as I can with the turkey baster every day as soon as I get home from college. In a week they will soon be 28 days old, so I am practicing how I will do water changes without letting the moisture in the tank get out. So that will be interesting......