Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2012, 02:20 AM   #21 
TheCrabbyTabby

Finfinfriend, syrian hamsters are the sweetest, cleanest (and they don't smell either), cuddliest and most adorable rodent pets ever. In fact, I had my Holly on my bed, cuddling with me just now (I just got done putting her back in her tank), My mouse, a REW named Algernon, was mean and wild and bit a lot. He also smelled so bad his cage was put out in the garage. Never again will I get a mouse. Hamsters are waaaaay better, IMHO.

Unless your abusing/neglecting your hamster, he/she should be cuddly and sweet too.

I was at Petco today and I saw a syrian sitting on her house, spinning her wheel from the outside. It was the funniest and cutest thing I ever saw!! I am totally in love with hamsters, in case you can't tell.

Last edited by TheCrabbyTabby; 08-22-2012 at 02:36 AM.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:56 AM   #22 
BettaHeart

if i can spend my two cents lol, if you do decide to get a mouse try to check out a pet store maybe acouple days in a row, watch how they interact with each other and maybe if the chance comes along ask if you can pick one up. My girls all came to my hand when the actual time came to deciding which one and each one has been the gentlest and sweetest, i have seven, three girls are over a year and four daughters to one of the older girls, she was sold to me pregnant, the worker just said she was fat but i could tell it wasnt. Momma had 10 babies 6 boys 4 girls. I found the boys wonderful homes and kept the girls, three albinos and one brownish grey. They are 7 months now and wonderful companions for my children. ok that was more then i expected but i think it really boils down to what you decide and which little critter will choose you lol.
All the best in your pet finding
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #23 
gn3ranger

*cough* get a rat Jk but mice aren't really smelly Imo I've only ever owned 1 mouse only because I took one home that my friend was gonna feed to his snake and i asked him if i could have it. They really are nice pets Not very picky eaters fun to watch as they are extremely energetic constantly roaming around and running on their wheel. Uh this post is really even tempting me to get another rat and 2 mice now >.>
gn3ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #24 
finnfinnfriend

I do not abuse or neglect my hamster.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #25 
TheCrabbyTabby

Hamster are not as easy to have as one may be lead to believe. They really shouldn't be a child's pet as children are prone to loosing their attention quickly and moving onto other things. That and they aren't the best animal care givers. Hamsters really should be a pet for those who are mature enough to handle them.

They are about as complex as a betta to keep and sadly, are as likely to be abused and neglected as one. People don't realize that they are as sensitive and delicate as they are. Especially the smaller species. That and they find it acceptable to cram a syrian into a crittertrial or habitrial cage. That is just unacceptable!! A syrain should be kept in a glass tank no smaller than a 20L OR a homemade bin cage, made from a large clear bin and hardware cloth/metal wire mesh. Nothing smaller.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #26 
finnfinnfriend

Okay I don't know why you are saying all this but I am an adult and I have a home made bin cage that is 30 gallons... Also I would have to politely disagree and say that a hamster requires more care than a betta, providing the betta is in a 5 gallon and the hamster is in an appropriate sized cage as well.

Good for you that your hamster is so cuddly though.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #27 
Pixielator

TCT- Not all syrian hamsters are the same. Yes TYPICALLY they are very friendly, but you should take into account that they also each have their own unique personality, and there are the few acceptions to the rule who are not friendly. Just because someone's syrian isn't nice, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's owner is abusing or neglecting it. And its not very polite to swing around accusations like that.

Last edited by Pixielator; 08-26-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Pixielator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #28 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I also have to say, a 5 gallon/ 20 litre tank is WAY too small. IMO a 20 gallon is good for a single syrian or a pair of dwarves.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote