Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2012, 05:15 PM   #1 
LugiaChan

Unhappy My fish HATES lights. Gets REALLY angry when I turn the light off too- rips his fins.

I don't know if I should post him for sale or what, he's a very very moody fish.

It all started when I took his plants out of the tank because of the crazy blue-green algae problem it caused. I put in a leaf to satisfy his need of a hiding place, he's not very shy...

I once had to relocate his blood worms and he saw me do so, into a new container. You wouldn't believe the temper tantrun he threw after I put them away and I felt stupid for showing him what I was doing, I guess I wasn't thinking.

Well, he gets really happy when I turn his light on, but then he used to chase his reflection along the sides of the tank... It's a 10 gallon. But after I leave it on for 2 or more hours, he starts chasing his tail fin and tail biting begins. I turn it off for him and he gets EVEN MORE ANGRY and right now that I did turn it off, he's flaring and making circles and trying to attack things in the tank. But there's nothing for him to attack, he's incredibly angry right now. I tried to have the light on for him for certain times of the day of course, for his fishy cycle for adapting. And he's just.... The moodiest aquatic creature i've ever seen in my life.

I don't honestly know what to do, it seems he likes darkness and he doesn't want any light at all. I need to give him to somebody who can give him proper care and treatment if I can't do anything for him....

I wanted to fill his tank with lots of plants and make a scenery, and I LOVE having the light on. But he's gone crazy... :( he reminds me of a shark who is ready to attack anything on sight. I don't know what to do for him asides from putting him in a smaller tank with heating and somehow a filter, and storing him away into a dark room... My previous betta never had this problem.

His fins were still healing too, it was at a dangerous point once and they started healing when there were no lights on for three+ days. This wont satisfy his needs for aquatic plants with no lights.... X_x omg.

Last edited by LugiaChan; 08-13-2012 at 05:17 PM.
LugiaChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #2 
megaredize

you need to fill the tank with fake silk plants by the sound of it. he misses the cover. tail biting is done out of stress and boredom usually. i would say put back real ones but if it caused you a problem you can get really nice silk ones. most of all my plants are fake
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #3 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by megaredize View Post
you need to fill the tank with fake silk plants by the sound of it. he misses the cover. tail biting is done out of stress and boredom usually. i would say put back real ones but if it caused you a problem you can get really nice silk ones. most of all my plants are fake
I really hate fake plants... Ugh. It's for his needs, though. :(
Old 08-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden

I'm not surprised he doesn't like the light. Betta come from shaded waters. To them, being under a direct light is being out in the open where predators can eat you. It stresses them out Try stuffing the top with floating plants.

The BGA problem is something else entirely. It sounds like it would be a good idea to tackle that and get plants back in him home.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #5 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by megaredize View Post
I put back his real plants- I might as well try them again since I haven't cleaned the tank out from the previous algae problems. He's really checking them out right now... :) maybe if I can just solve my plant problems. Theyre Phillipine fern and maybe I had the light on too long for the plants, I dont know but i'll keep trying.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #6 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
I'm not surprised he doesn't like the light. Betta come from shaded waters. To them, being under a direct light is being out in the open where predators can eat you. It stresses them out Try stuffing the top with floating plants.

The BGA problem is something else entirely. It sounds like it would be a good idea to tackle that and get plants back in him home.
Thank you I agree with you so much. I put in his plants again and he's checking them out a lot. And that makes a WHOLE lot of sense! I wanted to have lots of plants- I hope that the algae problem can be solved I have no idea what to do to solve it yet.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #7 
megaredize

i hope u get it solved im sure your tank looks great with all the plants back in. i dont know much about algae problems so i cant help there
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #8 
thekoimaiden

Glad to hear he's not viciously attacking them!

The first thing to look at with algae is light and nutrients. Do you know if the tank is getting any direct sunlight? How long are his tank lights on? Do you add any fertilizers?
Old 08-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #9 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Glad to hear he's not viciously attacking them!

The first thing to look at with algae is light and nutrients. Do you know if the tank is getting any direct sunlight? How long are his tank lights on? Do you add any fertilizers?
The tank is by the window, but my curtains are down and they are black curtains XD I tried having his lights on only when i'm awake for 13-14 hours max. I don't use fertilizers and only use low light plants which are not requiring CO2 :0 I plan on getting more plants though and moss.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:16 PM   #10 
thekoimaiden

Ouch! Thirteen hours!! I'm betting that is your problem right there. Any longer than 10 hours (without CO2) and most people have problems with algae. Try limiting the light to under 7 hours. I have my tank lights on timers so I can closely monitor how much light they get. It's eliminate a bad problem I had with algae in one of my 10 gal divided tanks. It took a few months, but the tank is now algae free.