Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2012, 08:19 AM   #1 
GFarra

Wants to eat, but doesn't open his mouth....what to do???

Hi Everyone,

Zeebron, my CT, is having some trouble eating and I'm trying to figure out how to help him out. He eats pellets (Hiroki or Aqueon Betta). He doesnt seem to be opening his mouth wide enough to gulp the food in, and he ends up pushing the food around until its up against something. He then proceeds to go after it until he finally eats it or gives up.

He CAN open his mouth, he does it all the time, really wide. I pretty sure he's hungry because he'll go after anything I drop in his tank. So how do I teach this guy that he has to OPEN his mouth in order to eat???

I've had him for about a week. This behavior is new as he had no troubles eatting before. This has been going on for about 2 days

TIA

George

Last edited by GFarra; 08-18-2012 at 08:24 AM.
GFarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #2 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hi George I dont know what to say about your problem but maybe you could try and crush the pellets for him and see how he does eating them is very small pieces. Also you can buy really tiny pellets, maybe he just prefers his food small.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:00 AM   #3 
misty1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
Hi George I dont know what to say about your problem but maybe you could try and crush the pellets for him and see how he does eating them is very small pieces. Also you can buy really tiny pellets, maybe he just prefers his food small.
I agree. I give my pellets a light 'crush' ... not enough to make them itty-bitty pieces ... just enough to break them up a bit. I had a hard time getting Sparkle to eat pellets, but now that I do the 'crush' he really chomps them down
misty1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #4 
GFarra

Thx, I will give that a try. What do you use to give them a light crush? I have a mortor/pestal, but that would pulverize the pellets

Thanks

George
GFarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #5 
misty1477

I use the bottom of a plastic water bottle cap. If you use one....be sure to clean in in HOT water (no soap) before you use it.

BTW ... some posters use one of these caps as a floating 'toy' for their Bettas. I tried it, but Sparkle just ignored it ... maybe I will try the 'ping-pong ball' toy method .... FUSSY BETTA
misty1477 is offline   Reply With Quote