Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2012, 12:52 PM   #1 
914joe

Need some help with cycling

I am trying to do a fishless cycle with fish food,i am using pellets ,its been about 5 days and this is what the ammonia test looks like today .Should i stop feeding it or replace some of the water ,i added about 10 crushed pellets for the first 3 days the 4th day i put in 2 pellets, i have not added any pellets today.
Attached Images

914joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #2 
teeneythebetta

Too much ammonia, I believe you want around 4-6 ppm.
Do a water change to get it in that range and only add more food when the ammonia level goes down.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:26 PM   #3 
914joe

Do you think i should i do a full water change or would half be okay .
Old 08-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I agree with teeneythebetta...the ammonia is too high for a fishless cycling-make a water change until you get it to 2-4ppm.

What size tank, type of filter used, any live plants, additives used and finial stocking plan....

Have you tested your source water levels, if not, I would recommend that you do a full test-both with and without the normal additives you use.

Depending on your finial stocking plan-the fish-in cycle might be easier and safer especially if the only ammonia source you have is fish food-Sometimes the fish food or the raw shrimp method can create bad bacteria that will cause problems later.

Read this sticky to help give you a better understanding of the nitrogen cycle and fish in method for keeping a single Betta.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #5 
914joe

It is A 2.5 tank i do not plan to keep him in there i just want to cycle these filters so i can transfer them over to the new 6.6 bookshelf tank that i just bought ,but i can't set that tank up right now because i want to paint the room it will be going in ,probably have it ready in 3 weeks or a month.I have only been testing for ammonia and i have done a ph test witch was 7.6 ,it has been about 5 days i added about 10 crushed pellets for the first 3 days ,and yesterday i added 2 pellets.this is the tank and the filters, one is a pen plax that i removed the carbon from and added the sponge ,and the other is an elite sponge filter.
Attached Images

Last edited by 914joe; 08-18-2012 at 02:00 PM. Reason: add pic