Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #1 
prodrumernate

male betta loosing his fins

my rosy red minnows constantly eat on my male betta fins.everyday they get shorts and shorter.he is fine.he keeps going around them and even chases them.as they chase him back.his favorite spot is in the right front of my 10 gallon tank..

but each day i notice some of his tail fin missing.its getting shorter and shorter...he acts normal.in fact even happier since i put him in the 10 gallon...i want to take him out.put him in my hospital tank for a few weeks while i cycle my 20 gallon hex.but ill add my female who is in the hospital tank waiting to be put in the 20 gallon..

since she doesnt have wavy fins.i dont really feel my rosy reds will go after her.its a little upsetting to see my male loosing his fins.he has plenty of places to hide including floating fake plants..

but he chooses to stay out in the open...other opinions?should i move him out now.place the female in their and put him in my 20 gallon once its cycled?

i just dont want to over stress him with all this moving.and surly dont want him loosing anymore of his fins.
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:54 PM   #2 
otter

Definitely take him out. Put in the female. I don't think she will have a problem if she has short fins. My angelfish started getting his fins nipped at and I thought he would be okay and chase off the killifish, but he never did and all of his fins got eaten off in a few days, and then he died. Take out the fish asap!!
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:11 PM   #3 
xShainax

Take him out immediately
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #4 
Pogthefish

Take him out NOW bettas, male or female, should not go with heavy nippers liek that!
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:11 PM   #5 
prodrumernate

taken out,,,replaced the female in the 10 gallon and been keeping an eye on them.they arent bothering her.and she showed them whose in charge ;)

i did not know if rosy red minnows/fathead minnows are fin nippers or not.in the 1 and a half month research i did online about them nothing came up.so i decided i would test them and see how they manage with bettas.but it seems only 1 of the minnows was biting.not all of them.

ill continue to keep an eye on them.if they are aggressive towards my female.well ill probably just have to give them to my friend as turtle food.i have no room for my other aquarium to house them in.atleast now i know more about minnows and their compatibility
Old 08-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #6 
Pogthefish

You cluld mai them to me, I hate to see fish die because they cant be housed D: PM me if you are intrested.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:38 PM   #7 
Pogthefish

*could mail
Old 08-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #8 
prodrumernate

that wouldnt be a bad idea.i too hate to se them die.even though they are feeder fish and only cost me 13 cents a piece.i was talking to my dad.we both thought of just buying another tank and set it up for my bettas and leave the minnows alone.they are fun to watch and take care of.

some how i lost 1 of the minnows yesterday.i bought it a few days ago.looked at my tank yesterday.and it was gone.no trace of it at all.it was as healthy as can be..im back down to 4 minnows again.strange a 5th 1 always dies or something.yet my oto is just fine.and the other minnows are just fine hmm confusing.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:53 AM   #9 
Pogthefish

Whenever I buy a school of fish one of them magically disappears, lmao. :P
Old 08-20-2012, 09:11 AM   #10 
Coppermoon

Take him out and do NOT add the female. He will be fine in a 1g heated (doesn't need a filter if you change his water). Betta are not social fish (with other fish), they do fine by themselves.
Coppermoon is offline   Reply With Quote