Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #1 
CTBettaLover

Betta's fins are ragged and holey

Hello all!

For some time now I thought my betta had fin rot because the ends of his rays look crooked and thinned on the sides. Some rays even look like theyve had tiny slivers sliced so that the thin bit of fin sticks out at weird angles and is curled. Also the bit of fin in between his rays has been slowly receding unevenly towards his body. There are also 2 new small holes in his fins. I dont think it is fin rot anymore because i dont see black on the tips of his fins. I am worried that he will get an infection though because of his damages. I took out the only plant that had pointy plastic parts on it and cut/filed them down. The plant is now back in the tank with him. Ive been using bettafix because Ive been told it helps their fins heal and grow back. Does anyone have any better advice?

Cheers!
CTBettaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #2 
myfavfish

hmm, im not an expert or anything but it sounds like your fish might be biting its tail in some parts and in other parts, i honestly dont know. you should get an opinion from someone with more experience than me :/ can you get a picture to help?
myfavfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #3 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

He is a crowntail correct ? Do you know if you have soft or hard water ? Hard water can cause rays at the end to curl. Also he may be biting them, have you ever seen him chase his tail ? It would be helpful to know what size tank he is in and how often you are doing water changes. So give us and update and we can go from there. And yes a picture would be also help if you can post one.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #4 
CTBettaLover

He is a crowntail correct ? <Yep. He looks almost identical to the one in your picture!>
Do you know if you have soft or hard water ? Hard water can cause rays at the end to curl. <I have hard water and i have heard that before but the rays arent just curled. They are have jagged edges at the tips and look bent in some places.>
Also he may be biting them, have you ever seen him chase his tail ?< I thought i saw him looking at the end of his tail, with his body curled to the side but it wasn't for long and I never saw him bite it. I read your response along with the previous commenter's so I feel like I might just be paranoid.>
It would be helpful to know what size tank he is in and how often you are doing water changes. So give us and update and we can go from there.
<10 gallon tank with light and filter.
To keep a steady temp for him, I purchased an adjustable heater today which is set on 79oF.
His tank usually stays between 76-80 without it. I live in Florida and my bedroom is quite warm.
I have only had the tank for about 2 months and have had to break it down for a thorough cleaning( including a gravel swap ) about 3-4 weeks ago because of a pest infestation from a live plant I purchased. Bad decision for a newbie! It had non parasitic worms, diatoms, and I've seen one tiny snail which I removed. On top of that the plant kept rotting feeding the pests. This caused my tank to begin recycling -.-
Since then Ive been doing weekly large (30-40%) water changes with a 25% pwc midweek.
I don't always run the filter because he doesn't like the current it generates ( which I do adjust for him by pulling the intake tube out a little bit ) and I worry it makes it hard for his fins to heal.
PH is around 7.6 (Highest on the regular test which is 6.0-7.6, lowest on the high ph test which is 7.4-8.8)
Right now, about to do a weekly 30% water change, the ammonia is 0<.25ppm, same for nitrite. No nitrates yet because of recycle.
I treat the water with API Stress Coat and Start Zyme (not sure of the brand). I have also been adding 1/2 tsp/gal of aquarium salt to half of the water I add for pwcs. Ive read that its good for external problems and warding off infection & disease but a lot is bad for bettas.>

And yes a picture would be also help if you can post one. <Im trying to get one with my iphone but its hard to get a good detailed one especially because he keeps facing me and flaring at the camera. LOL. He's never done that before today! I wasn't even using flash. This also makes me wonder if he's agitated though. I almost wanted to use some fresh carbon and remove the bettafix in is water. Ive read it can hurt their labyrinth organ. I haven't done it though. I will have pictures up ASAP.>
Old 08-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #5 
CTBettaLover

I looked at him today and noticed a small white fuzzy bump on his fin. I have seen this before and it always seems like a small hole appears in his fin right where the fuzz had been. I think it might be fungus. I had a lily bulb in his tank but it never grew and got really fuzzy with white fungus. Ever since it seems like fungus has been popping up in my tank. On the inside of the glass, floating on top of the water, and on his fins! Ive been battling this fin problem for some time now. I just want him to be happy and healthy!

Tags
damaged fins, holes in fins, ragged fins, ripped fins, torn fins