Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #1 
LizzyP

Betta with separation anxiety?

I have an interesting case on my hands. It all started earlier this month when my parents went away and I was housesitting for them. I left Dumbledore for a week (my fiance was stopping by once a day to feed him after work) and when I came back after sitting, his fins were chewed off. I mean, shredded. Like he stuck them in a paper shredder. I was so mad. Just recently I moved back to my parents house and brought Dumbledore with him and gave him a new 5.5 gallon which he seems to love and his fins are healing nicely. I left for a week and came back yesterday to shredded fins. I wanted to cry.

So now I'm coming to the conclusion my fish has separation anxiety. He doesn't chew them if I'm home everyday and talk to him and play with him, but when I leave the house for days at a time he tears up his tail. What do I do? I mean, I can't just not leave the house on vacation or whatnot. I love my bettas, I do. But not enough to never go away. How can I prevent this from happening? He has 2-3 LARGE silk plants and a decoration pot to hide in, so he's not lacking cover. He doesn't have a light over his tank unless I turn the cabinet lights on, but he is in the kitchen which has plenty of natural and artificial lights. Any help?

Thanks, enjoy the weekend.
Lizzy
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #2 
Assault0137

Maybe set a picture of yourself next to his tank? I don't really know... I never really had this happen.
Assault0137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:05 AM   #3 
PaintedOaksOki

Maybe he just gets bored when he has no one to watch, while you are away. Does he have anything to play with? Betta log, pingpong ball, bottle cap?
PaintedOaksOki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:40 AM   #4 
Jupiter

I used to have a betta who did that too. He was on my desk and everytime I'd leave for more than a day he'd tear at this fins.

I suspect since I was at my desk a lot, he had more to do, but would get bored when I wasn't there.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #5 
LizzyP

I guess I just need to put something in there for him to do...Never thought about him just being bored. Hmm.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote