Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #1 
glutenfreemama

Whiter on face - tried recommendations still not better

This is my third post on the same problem.

Male betta, 10 gal, heater to 80, Filtered, everyother day water changes since illness started, feed pellets- still eating,

Ive tried bettafix (one dose with adverse effects), Full Course Kanaplex (no results), aquarium salt (mild improvement but reverted after course), epsom salt (no results)

Ive now thrown off my balance in my tank, and stressed him out with all these interventions. I spoke with someone at the aquarium store who thought it might be old age - lymphoma and there is not much i can do

Symptoms - white on face, cloudy eyes, poor vision, not as active, color diminished, mild bloating

Here is a picture of him today
Attached Images

glutenfreemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #2 
lvandert

it looks like the start of Lymphocystis.
Symptoms: White to gray, cauliflower or raspberry-like groths on the fins or body of the fish.

Treatment: Since lymph is not very contagious or fatal, the best treatment is to leave the fish in the main tank and let the disease run its course. If you have an ultraviolet light, keep it on to stop the spread of the virus. If the Lymph tumor covers most of the mouth, causing eating problems for the fish, the growth should be removed. If you want to perform the surgery, net the fish and place it on a clean, wet towel. With a scalpel or new razor blade, carefully trim the portion of Lymph that is obstructing the mouth. Be careful not to cut into the actual skin, if at al possible. Disinfect the area by dabbingit with a cotton swab dipped in a broad spectrum antiseptic such as betadine. Let the drug penetrate for ten seconds then place the fish directly back in the main tank. Do not keep the fish out of the water for more than one minute."
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #3 
BETTACHKALOVE

i am personally thinking it too much medications. If you already used all that medications i would not use fungus guard,which you wrote in your last post you going to use. Especially if you know that it not fungus. I would think if it would be fungas he already would be worse . Also with fungus always lower the temp to 76* because fungus love and get worse in warmer temperature. I would give him a break and just do more water changes. I am personally think that 25% water changes even for 10 gall is not enough at all. And especially for 5 gall. Also i read bad responses on bettafix.
Also i have a question. When you did salt treatment did you use right dose? Because if you didn't it not helping. Also if he is slightly bloated you can use Epsom salt long term, again it should be right dosage.

And i am really recommending more water changes for your tanks with regular gravel siphoning. If you have filter media swish/wash in the old water WITH water change.
Do you cycle your 5 gall tank?
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #4 
BETTACHKALOVE

How is your betta doing?
Old 08-07-2012, 10:08 PM   #5 
glutenfreemama

Thank you for checking in. He is still the same. Vision might be a bit worse. He has a hard time seeing his food but gets it after a few attempts.
I have held back on any other meds to give my Bettas a rest. Just doing 25% water changes every other day to keep it nice and clean for them.
In answer to your question, both tanks are filtered and heated. I also use the gravel siphon at every change. I have not used any further meds nor the fu gas guard because as you mentioned it might be pointless. The only things added to the tanks currently are prime conditioner and a bio support weekly to improvee/maintain bacteria.
I'm not sure if it's the lymphocytosis that was recommended. I can't find any pics to match his symptoms.
I am playing a waiting game but I dont like it. I want to help them. I'm a nurse and feel I need to treat them.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:50 PM   #6 
lvandert

lymph starts small and grows into a cauliflour like growth, but its obviously too small for that.

Is he still bloated? or has that gone away?
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #7 
BETTACHKALOVE

How is your female? Does she has the same symptoms as before?
I am not an expert and i don't have filters. But i was thinking if they are sick and you have this filter running over and over with the same bacteria....I don't know if it too late but i would really take filter out and especially in 5 gall and do more water changes. And really wash your filters and let it sit for a few days or longer so bacteria dies....put it on a sun..I would do 50% weekly and 100% every other week. And always acclimate fish if you ever do 100% water changes.
If your male is bloated i would do Epsom salt which will help swollen and has antibacterial affect. Epsom salt you can use for long time so don't worry about that.
They are sick since 7/7 almost a month so i would think if it would be columnaris because for one month he already would be dead probably, so it not it and you don't have to treat him for fungal infection.
Also i am not sure if you know directions on salt treatments. For aquarium salt and Epsom salt the same instructions. Never follow the box instructions on aq salt because it just for preventative care. You always need right dosage and duration or it not going to help. Not sure what dosage you use before.
The instructions are:
Pre mix it in one gall jug or if you don't have one gall i guess in the container. Shake it well make sure it dissolved. And you have to do it 100% daily water changes. With aq salt you can treat no longer then 10-13 days.With epsom salt you can treat for as long as you need it.
Also i know when people have filters you need also wash it couple times a month in the old water WITH water changes.
Also even if you have frog in the same tank and it healthy, you can't assume that your fish is also healthy. I also think that bettas or at least some bettas are fragile and susceptible to the infections. I saw a lot of post when people have other fish with bettas and all of them fine but bettas get sick. That is why i keep all my bettas separate.
Also i hope you boy will at least stabilized and not get worse. And i know how difficult and frustrating to feed him. I had took fish from someone that couldn't eat and it took me literally 20 min to feed him. Finally i euthanize him because he couldn't eat. But i think if he is eating or you able to feed him he is not suffering from pain though. I would think if fish would have pain they will have some kind of convulsion or something...
Good luck give us update.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #8 
glutenfreemama

not good

Things are not looking good for my little man

today I noticed a new white spot coming out of his left gill. then after a 25% water change he got really bad. Started gasping, went really pale, sinking to the bottom, and having difficulty swimming or staying upright. I suppose the slight temp change with the new water, (i do climatize as best i can) and the current produced by adding it threw him right off.

I now have him in a one gallon floating in his tank so it stays warm. I also added 1 tsp epsom salt. I will increase that dose tomorrow if he handles it. I have one of his artificial plants in with him so he can rest on it.

At the moment he is stabilized, no more gasping, just resting on the plant and not moving much. Color has improved but not normal. I hope he will be ok.

as for my female her bump is a bit bigger and i can now see black spots in her dorsal fin. she is still acting normal. I feel I am losing the battle but am not willing to give up fight.

I spoke with a manager of the fish store today and he suggested it may be a fungas because it started as cloudy eye???? suggested I use the fungas guard by tetra since it is antifungal and antibiotic????? I just dont know anymore. I guess I will see how he does overnight and think about it.

here are pictures of them before the big scare
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2012, 11:20 PM   #9 
TheCheese909

I've got a guy with lymph. He has it on the side of his body though, not on the face or gills.

I rescued him from Petco, he had a fungus and lymph. I treated him in a 1 gallon tank with an under gravel filter with a little lilly plastic plant (so that he had something in there to feel comfortable with).

I used API Fungus Cure at first (which turns the water a greenish color). I used to for about 2 weeks along with API Stress Coat+ as a water conditioner. I changed the water after 5 days of treatment then did it again for another 4-5 days. This fungus cure works for cloudy eye as well, which my guy didn't have but i've used it before with great success on a one eyed Plakat I had who was totally blind in the actual eye he did have because of such cloudyness. It cleared up but it did take awhile.

As for the lymph itself after the 2 weeks(ish) treatment of the fungus cure I let him rest in clean, clear water for a few days then did a 1 week of Aquarium Salt (1tsp per 1 gallon) along with the Stress Coat. I took him out and cleaned his water after a week -BUT- I set him up again with the Aquarium Salt, same thing but before putting him back in his little tank i got a q-tip, and dipped it in his water along with a little drop of Betta Fix on the q-tip, held him, and gently brushed the lymph going in the direction of his scales. Since he had been sitting in the water with the medication then the salt it had made it a little bit softer and some of it came off. I didn't brush him hard or anything like that, i just gently brushed the q-tip over it. I put him back in the water and he hated me for a few days but then got over it. He still has it, it's very difficult to get rid of, sometimes it leaves and sometimes it stays forever. But doing that has made it so much better looking and it's much smaller.

I've also heard of people using peroxide on lymph as well. Same thing with a q-tip, though do your research before trying that.

Attached are acouple pictures of my boy. I'm trying to get newer pictures of him but he's in a 4 gallon tank now and loves racing around when the camera comes by.
Attached Images

TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:29 AM   #10 
sunlight

i would try that...good luck
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote