Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #1 
Bettanewbie60

switching tanks?

I'm thinking I'm going to move Bella into Bali's 5.5g, and him into the 2.5. He is constantly "panic swimming" and his fins are getting ripped up. I know he doesn't have any fin rot, so it's either biting or just the way he whips around that tank. I think the female would be better with the extra swimming room too. Is it okay to just move them to each other's tanks? I just did a 100% change on the 5.5 last night, and can do the 2.5 before the switch. Any advice?
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #2 
DragonFish

I would personally just do a 100% on both if they're not filtered or cycled or anything before switching the fish so they both have nice 'new' clean tanks and fresh water.
I don't know if thats absolutely 100% necessary, especially if both of your fish are fine and healthy, but I would do it just to cover all my bases and be safe.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #3 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
I would personally just do a 100% on both if they're not filtered or cycled or anything before switching the fish so they both have nice 'new' clean tanks and fresh water.
I don't know if thats absolutely 100% necessary, especially if both of your fish are fine and healthy, but I would do it just to cover all my bases and be safe.
Thanks! Yeah, the 5.5 is filtered and I did a 100% on it last night...the 2.5 is next for 100%, not filtered. I just finished my other 5g 100% lol...I am getting some nicely developed biceps lol!
Old 08-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #4 
DragonFish

Haha! Oh yeah, I was in pretty good shape when I had my 8-10 tanks before I got my Python hose. xD Ahh, so much WATER......
Just a question.....why do a 100% on your 5 gallon if its filtered? O.o Why not cycle it?
Old 08-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #5 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Haha! Oh yeah, I was in pretty good shape when I had my 8-10 tanks before I got my Python hose. xD Ahh, so much WATER......
Just a question.....why do a 100% on your 5 gallon if its filtered? O.o Why not cycle it?
I don't normally do 100% on my filtered, but I just added the filter two days ago, and there were just way too many DOCs floating around..it was really cloudy. I didn't want to take a chance on the water quality cause I don't have a full test kit yet. It sucks, but I got too paranoid when it really clouded up and I can't test it to see why.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #6 
DragonFish

Ahhhh, yeah, I understand. I probably would have done the same. xD
Well good luck! Hopefully Bali does a little better in the 2.5 :)
Old 08-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #7 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Ahhhh, yeah, I understand. I probably would have done the same. xD
Well good luck! Hopefully Bali does a little better in the 2.5 :)
Thanks again DragonFish..I would love to just fill the 5.5 with more plants/decor right now..but, can't afford it. He has a cave and like 3 plants, but I'm still thinking the smaller digs might make him less stressed. I hope the female enjoys the bigger digs...I really need more stuff lol!
Old 08-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #8 
DragonFish

Lol, I know what you mean....its always one thing after another. Just a couple more plants, a new cave, some new food.....maybe change out the substrate, or perhaps give live plants a go....
Then before you know it you stumble upon another fish that gives you the fishy-puppy eyes and you just can't resist, and so its a new tank and all new fixin's for it....
.....Or maybe thats just me and my horrible habits xD; Lol

Oh, I bet she will! I miss my females, they were always so...zippy xD
Old 08-18-2012, 09:10 PM   #9 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Lol, I know what you mean....its always one thing after another. Just a couple more plants, a new cave, some new food.....maybe change out the substrate, or perhaps give live plants a go....
Then before you know it you stumble upon another fish that gives you the fishy-puppy eyes and you just can't resist, and so its a new tank and all new fixin's for it....
.....Or maybe thats just me and my horrible habits xD; Lol

Oh, I bet she will! I miss my females, they were always so...zippy xD
Lmbo...I juts got back from Petsmart..when hubby heard I was going there he got that panicked look on his face, "What for"?..I said, "I need decorations for Bali and Bella, besides, I don't have tank for another one"..."Oh wait, I DO have that 1g that is empty"! LOL...he didn't find it funny..and as for the "fishy-puppy" eyes..there was this amazing double tail half moon!!! I soooo want him..but, alas, I refrained. I did spend $28 dollars on plants and decor though! Yiiikes...I still need to buy 2 more 2.5g tanks for Bandit and Beau...I guess next week. LOL..I can see the divorce papers now..under "reason for divorce"..."betta fish addiction"
Old 08-18-2012, 09:34 PM   #10 
DragonFish

Haha, lol!! xD Ahh the joys of Betta keeping....my parents quite a lot like that. Sigh, non-fish keepers will never understand....
Thankfully my current significant other quite enjoys my fish ;D

Awwww....well perhaps he'll still be there next week. ;3