Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2012, 05:39 AM   #21 
Joelouisvachon

The reason I asked this was because I have a big tank I'm not using right now that I was thinking of using, but first I'd have to create a lid for it since the last time I used it, it was used for mice and the lid is wooden. it's 10.5 gallons.
Joelouisvachon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #22 
Joelouisvachon

Bump?
Old 08-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #23 
LittleBettaFish

Well if it's waterproof you could house a trio of channoides or albimarginata. You could probably put a pair of strohi in as long as you had plenty of cover for them. I found they do tend to be aggressive during courtship and when the male is holding if the female bothers him.

I find java moss works best, as they have to worm their way through it if they want to attack anyone. I also use PVC pipes as hiding places and retreats for holding males.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #24 
Joelouisvachon

Thanks! Now I'm trying to decide between channoides or albis, since they seem to need less room.

However, I have a 20 g with only four guppies in it, and I was thinking I could move those four males into my 10 g female guppy tank, and use that.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #25 
Aus

I think that sounds like a pretty good idea, if the 10 g has decent filtration and you don't mind a guppy explosion - with the males & females together, I mean...

The strohi are sure enjoying their 30-odd gallons (I really must get an exact gallonage on that tank!) and even with lots of hidey spaces and plants tend to argue over territory a lot. Tbh, I think the girls are more aggressive! They flare at each other all day sometimes.. and poor Blue just wanders off to skulk in his chosen patch of turf, as if to say, "Women!"

I REALLY want to try some more wild species, particularly some of the bigger ones. But not until my splendens have gone to that big rice paddy in the sky, I think, so I can dedicate the time and effort to them they deserve. I can so see myself collecting mouthbrooders, lol.

Last edited by Aus; 08-22-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #26 
Joelouisvachon

The guppy tank has filters and a heater. The guppy explosion was the orignal reason the genders were separated, but my guppy population has shrunk and I'm ready for more guppy babies.

If I use the 20 g, then that means the 10.5 g is free for another species of wild betta or a sorority, which I like.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #27 
rosy delta

I'm glad i read this thread. I was thinking of getting some wild types, but if they need soft water, it just wont work here. our water is over the charts hard! I mix it with distilled for the fish.
rosy delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #28 
Aus

Is there anywhere you could keep a big plastic barrel? Like a 44-gallon drum type of thing. If so, you could keep a few changes' worth of water, enough for a small tank of wilds, in that and treat it with ketapang and peat to soften it up. Just with three large leaves and some driftwood, my tank's ph has dropped from high sevens down to just over six currently. I think the wood helps to keep it stable.

I don't add pre-treated water, as I only do 25% changes twice a week (sometimes 3, as I have a pleco in there, he poops a lot!) and the leaves do a good job of keeping the water pretty dark.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #29 
Joelouisvachon

A pleco can live with wild betta fish? that's terrific, since she lives in the tank I was going to give to wild betta fish originally. I wouldn't have to take her out!
Old 08-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #30 
LittleBettaFish

The only problem is that if the KH is really high, peat and IALs may not be enough to bring it down. Our water has a fairly low KH here in Melbourne, so it is much easier to get a lower pH. I think those with a high KH, usually use a mix of RO water and tapwater for their softwater fish.

You might be overstocking a 10 gallon tank if you have one of the commonly sold pleco species, as well as a group of wilds. Even bristlenose plecos ideally need at least 15 gallons. I have a fully grown bristlenose and it is a decent size.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote